pc crashes while watching movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

seventee

Solid State Member
My computer kept on crashing then restarting while watching movies (it happened this day for 3 different movies so it couldn't be them).

And windows will pop a message about my computer encountering an unexpected shutdown, followed by the "system has recovered from serious error". Well, the windows meant SERIOUS, so I am rather bothered by this. Usually before, I am not, because after restarting, it goes back to working fine, but unlike today, it kept crashing (while watching any movies) then restarting.

Also, I noticed it says something about a drive which is NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64.

What is this all about? And does it have something to do with the player I use? How can I fix this?

Please help :[

Sorry I am new and have a lot of questions.

Are you getting the "System has recovered from a serious error" at startup? And the popup message, does it give you anything like file location? Any hex in it?

-SkyHi

Yes, I am getting that.

And about the file location, I am not sure about it, but it gives me something about the drive called NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64. I searched google about this and it says it's a video codec something.

I don't know how to fix this though :[

with the message it gives you about your graphics card, i would say that your graphics card cannot handle the movies.. thats my guess ....

seventee said:
Yes, I am getting that.

And about the file location, I am not sure about it, but it gives me something about the drive called NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64. I searched google about this and it says it's a video codec something.

I don't know how to fix this though :[

get rid of the wack a$$ video card. it's old and it was always problematic

^^ I wish I can do that easily. And I wish I know how.

Is there a cheaper/another (or possible, easier) way to fix this?

Thanks for all your replies :']

How cheap are you talking? Realy the only way to fix that, invloving money, would be to get a new video card.

You get the latest drivers? Get the detonator drivers from http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

What is the exact card you have? You have both the Riva and TNTs in that message, and there are different drivers for both. Does it crash when gaming? What is the temp on your vid card?

And also, full system specs please.

seventee said:
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64[

over the years, this particular card was problematic. people would always complain about this card on different forums. there a known defect with this 16mb car

"Downdownloadidng..."

You know, there is a driver update on the nVidia website that fixes some problems with some buggy chipsets.

Just do that driver search thing. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom