3 beep error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Area

Baseband Member
I just got a new system and the motherboard constantly gives three beeps on boot, which according to the manual is a main memory read/write error.

To save you looking it up in my profile, it's an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard, and the memory is Corsair's 1024MB TwinX, DDR 400, PC3700 RAM (four 512MB chips totalling 2.0 Gig).

I can't stop it doing it, the memory tests out fine, and it even does it if I install EACH memory chip separately - I can't believe they are ALL faulty! Is it because the speed is too high for the board? Should I go into the bios and "tone it down" a bit - if so some kind soul will have to give me the idiot's guide on how to do it.

I've tried Tech Service at asus on tsd@asus.com, but the email just gets bounced as undeliverable (very helpful - NOT).

Heeeeelp!!

Are you even able to get in the bios. what happens after these three beeps. Does an error come up and then it keeps booting. or does it halt at the error and go no further.

Well, following the three beeps, it apparently boots normally, but I do have other problems (see other topic under "Wi-Fi blues" in this forum) and I suppose it is possible that they are related.

I just get twitchy when things give out error codes. I want my single, reassuring little "beep" which tells me everything is going okay. :)

When i look up you mobo, it say it cn up to ddr 3200. By you specs you have ddr 3700. Is that a typo, If it isn't then that might be why your are getting hte error code.

It is PC3700 memory (three-seven-zero-zero). I got fast memory to try and future proof it a bit - AFAIK, no motherboard currently supports any faster than 3200, but since there is memory available that goes up to PC4000 now, I did not think this would cause serious problems. This is why I was asking if I can "tone down" the memory speed in bios somewhere.

It's an Amibios, I can't remember the version number (I'm at work) but it's the latest one that the flash upgrade utility would let me download as of about Friday 8th November 2003.

3 beeps is a memory error... the speed being to high for the mobo may have something to do with it if it all tests fine.

D'oh! So what you're telling me is, I could have saved a few quid AND a few problems by buying ordinary PC3200 memory?

Damn.

HOW do I underclock the memory? I'm a bios novice!

Plus I flashed my bios very recently and the version is coming up as American Megatrends 080009. How does that compare to the version 1013?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom