Whats the dealwith linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesman

In Runtime
i am just curious, i would like to try out Linux for a change.

likw whats the diference between Lindows and red hat?

But, what would i expect upon installing it?

i know its gui, But can i install all my normal porgrams and stuff i have now?

or whats the deal?

and anyone now where i can get a free version of redhat? i know you dont have to pay for some of them.

thanks!

i am a linux virgin

when 'lindows' came out it was suppose to run all your windows apps. i have never used lindows, but i've heard nothing but bad things from it.

if you want to play with linux on your pc w/out installing it you should dl knoppix. its a "live cd" so you can boot off it and try out linux. slackware also has a live distro thats only like 180megs, might also want to try that.;)

redhat can be found here. if you don't have broadband or don't want to dl all the isos, goto ebay, theres always ppl selling linux distros dirt cheap.

will ibe able to install and run all my apps i got now? like photo shop and what not?

no, but linux has the gimp to edit photos.:) see, you may be able to use photoshop with lindows..i mean it was made to run windows apps soo.. if running windows applications on linux is you main concern, ask around and try to find someone running lindows.

ya, i think il stick with WinXPPro for now, until iget another smaller computer soon

urm....

It is opensource, runs apache web servers for the majority(incl BSD) of the web (extremly reliable w/ some servers with > 1yr uptimes), is great for programming and devlopment, is highly useful for those who undertand the concepts (instead of having a checkox)in that it gives extreme power do/develop whatever, and it ... is urm... Unix. There are many cool gui environments available that are very cool, w/ widgets not seen in MS Exploder. And people all over the word can contribute.

Redhat basically packages up Linux and all sources in an easy to install way...Linux is free - thx Linus Torvolds.

http://www.tech-heaven.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7380
I apologize in advance to any gurus for massacring anything.

And Dikumuds run on it ;)

telnet slothmud.org 6101

This sums it up pretty damn well. one more thing to add.

SECURITY SECURITY SECURITY SECURITY SECURITY SECURITY ! :) hahahah, it's secure.
chalk said:
urm....

It is opensource, runs apache web servers for the majority(incl BSD) of the web (extremly reliable w/ some servers with > 1yr uptimes), is great for programming and devlopment, is highly useful for those who undertand the concepts (instead of having a checkox)in that it gives extreme power do/develop whatever, and it ... is urm... Unix. There are many cool gui environments available that are very cool, w/ widgets not seen in MS Exploder. And people all over the word can contribute.

Redhat basically packages up Linux and all sources in an easy to install way...Linux is free - thx Linus Torvolds.

http://www.tech-heaven.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7380
I apologize in advance to any gurus for massacring anything.

And Dikumuds run on it ;)

telnet slothmud.org 6101

I installed fedora core 1 5 days ago, here's my uptime stats

00:48:19 up 5 days, 8:52, 2 users, load average: 0.19, 0.11, 0.09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom