Sending a fax via my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. tech

In Runtime
I want to sent faxes from my computer... I'm running on DSL...

I basically need to eb able to have a word document and then enter a number and it sends...

Any dieas on how to do this? Software?

you will need a fax modem, Windows XP has faxing software that you may need to install from add remove windows componets. It seems to work ok for me i guess. If you dont have XP and want to buy/burn/download/copy then try either Winfax pro by symantec or a program call mighty fax (which I used for some time)

so I can't use my dsl? I need a fax modem? Can I be connected to dsl and also send faxes at the same time?

yes you need a fax modem (or dial up modem as most are fax now), and yes can use the fax while on dsl as long as you have the phone filter on it. but you can send fax while talking on the same phone line.

Yea, i got a fax modem :)

So is it possible to create a word document and then send it via fax to someone and then make a couple of changes to that same document and send a fax to another prerson and so on? Would WinFx or Mighty Fax do that?

umm why do you want to fax it? It would be easier to email it.
As for you question I dont think so. It doesnt fax to them like a word doc, its like a print out but on you PC. you would most likey have to retype it and fax it again and so on...

Mr. tech said:
Yea, i got a fax modem :)

So is it possible to create a word document and then send it via fax to someone and then make a couple of changes to that same document and send a fax to another prerson and so on? Would WinFx or Mighty Fax do that?

yes you can fax your word doc. for example, people fax their resumes.

dexta182 said:
umm why do you want to fax it? It would be easier to email it.
As for you question I dont think so. It doesnt fax to them like a word doc, its like a print out but on you PC. you would most likey have to retype it and fax it again and so on...

???

you can fax any paper document on your computer (IE .doc, .pdf. max. jpg, etc.) with windows fax

after you put your xp cd in to install your fax (it is off by default), all you have to do is hit file, print or right click, Print. Now instead of selecting your printer, pick fax. then just follow the rest of the directions.

j2fax.com use to let you fax the first 500 pages for free.

www.j2fax.com

Sheesh... I need to find the xp cd... Until then I'm, just trying this mighty fax. Winfax stopped me from editing word documents. It kept giving me those end now messages.

Anyhoo, when I try to send w/ mightyfax I get:

Fatal Time Out

The root cause is that the fax program is waiting for a specific response from the modem (or the remote fax machine), and it doesn't receive the response within a given period of time.

It is possible that the remote fax is not sending either an end-of-page or end-of-document signal, which is required per the fax specs.

There could be a problem with the modem (or its drivers). Make sure you have the correct and latest drivers from the modem manufacturer.

You might be doing too much work in the foreground during a critical portion of the fax process. The fax process is very time sensitive, so heavy processing while sending a fax should be avoided. Especially true with software/winmodem modems.

Sometimes tweaking the Preference settings such as using the correct Modem Initialization String can help. Click the Suggest button to have MightyFax suggest configuration changes which might help.

Sending only: If this is an international or long distance call, it may be necessary to increase the amount of time needed for the call to occur. If you suspect this is the case, on the "Modem Initialization String Helper" screen, check the box labeled "The Faxmodem frequently hangs up before the faxmodem/fax machine on the other end answers and/or I have problems with international calls". This will increase the amount of time the modem will wait for a response after dialing.

Any ideas?

I know you can fax any document, but you cant change it like it was a word document you have just opened.

When you send does your modem start ringing? or start to dial up the number you had entered? How many pages are you sending?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom