New to the BYOC game, here is my idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks for more of the replies. I have taken and used your suggestions. still havin trouble making sure about the ram and exact hard drive. I am debating over graphic cards as well.

About what I have to spend, roughly $1500 US. just because it is there does not mean I have to spend it.

This is great how fast and the opinions you've come back with. I been in forums before wher they don't help you with what they know, they just give you a google link and say do your research. I know I should know more but I have a short time to make my decsions, about a week. So again thanks to all who have helped.

As far as the case is concerned I would like something silver or black and nothing wild. I need at least 2 USB ports in front with head phone jacks thats it. How do you know if a case has good air flow? Don't I need to buy the fans for that?

Kevin

you don't need 2gig ram, you don't even use up to one gig of memory, so 1 gig is already enough

case (thermaltakes would be what i'd suggest)
AMD64 3200+ Venice
DFI Lanparty ultra-d SLI
eVGA 6800GT
Seagate 7200.8 SATA 200gb HDD
1 gig twinMOS ram
NEC 3510A dvd-rw
OCZ Powerstream 520W (yes, you do need a power supply; the shitty one that comes with every case won't work; spending very little on a PSU is bad as well)

nope I need 2 GBs of ram. Remember that this computer will be used for other applications that need the ram. I am currently trying to open a 522mb file. When open with operating system 1.5gb will be used. I have a gig now and it isn't enough, though that system is a 4 yr old emachines that has done it's job. I now need something that will do the job well.

Kevin

Prices seem pretty good at zipzoomfly.com. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was planning on the venice core 3200+ because I could overclock it later. would it be better to get the 3500+ venice core to overclock. I am also sing Winchester, Newcastle, Clawhammer cores. Would one of these be better to buy and overclock? I think I remember reading that the venice core just responds better.

Also somebody mentioned a san diego but can't find that core for sell with a 3200+. C'mon would you really see a jump in performance with only 512K extra cache anyhow. seems gimicky doesn't it? Pentiums have 2mb right and they're no better than AMDs.

3 days left till I buy.

Kevin

Could you tell us what applications you use?

Intel raises cache to increase peformance due to their heat issues, they can squeeze out a bit more peformance.

I would defiantly want 1 meg of l2 cache though :)

I use Alias Studiotools for computer modeling and sketching, photoshop, various microsoft programs, and a DVD ripper to back up my DVDs. Most of what I do in Alias is computer rendering hence why I need a good gaming computer vs workstation. Not to mention the workstations they suggest are outragous in price. I have to put a $1600 cap on the system with OS so that there is enough left over for me to buy Alias.

Alias = $8400
Moniter= $0 ( already have a good one)
Keyboard and mouse can be pick up cheap anywhere
Computer with XP Pro= $1600 shipped

I have always bought AMD when possible due to the best bang for the buck. I just haven't never built a system before and it almost seems too much of a headache when I could go buy a system. There are TOO many companies out there to keep track of with too much technology and I am on a speed learning course.

I have been building and rebuilding and comparing prices for two days already. I still don't know if what I have built is the best for what I need. I also want it for gaming but that is a second priority.

Here is a revision

From Newegg:

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR
pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)
eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB SLI
Seagate 7200rpm 300GB Serial ATA harddrive
Shuttle Silver dual layer DVD burner
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
THERMALTAKE Tsunami case with glass door
THERMALTAKE Silent Purepower W0013RU ATX 480W

=$1,262.28 Shipped

Along with
From Zipzoomfly.com

AMD 64 3200+ venice core
XP pro
cheap Keyboard and mouse

= $356.98 shipped

total = $1,619.26 shipped

Kevin

Do you have a graphics tablet already or included in the price anywhere? StudioTools requires one.

Also you could shave off some money by going with onboard audio instead of the Soundblaster to bring you closer to your 1500 goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom