Hard Drive Imperil

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon15n

Baseband Member
Just a quick question, and I feel dumb asking it--

I have this hard drive.

It's got crap on it, but I want to delete it all and re-partition everything, install an OS and what not.

If, perhaps, I were to switch out the HD's in the comp I'm using now and perform operations on this HD, after I have successfully partioned the drive and installed an OS on it, would I be able to switch it out and put my old HD's back in (the ones I'm using now)...

Or would I not be able to boot up?

Thanks!

switch out? what do you mean? you can take it out and put it into another computer, you won't damage it. all IDE hard drive setups are basically the same:

to partition the hard disk you would either boot up with the winXP/ win2k CD to use the partition/ setup utility. or you would use DOS and fdisk, this would be done by making a win98/ winME startup disk and booting with that diskette.

help on fdisk is at computerhope.com search for fdisk. winXP/ win2k CD setup is much easier. btw, i don't think imperil is a word ;)

I meant to say that if I take out my current hd's and did stuff to this new hd, would I be able to put my old one's back in and go on as usual?
thanks

as long as you don't take a sledgehammer to the old one that its okay:p

it doesn't matter what happens to that drive when you move it. doing that does not alter it in a way as to make it unusable in another machine.

think of it this way: when you put files onto a floppy disk from your home computer and take it to a friend's computer to use it, you can still use that same floppy on your home computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom