wireless router with wired router

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdfetz3

Solid State Member
I recently figured out from this site that i can hook up a wireless router to my wired Microsoft MN-100 router for wireless internet. What non-expensive wireless router would be best for doing this?

There is no point. Just by a wireless router and plug everything into it. Wireless routers come with ethernet ports as well.

well say i had to get the wirless router to hook up to my wired router, what would it be?

pdfetz3 said:
well say i had to get the wirless router to hook up to my wired router, what would it be?

A royal pain in the ass, it's kinda what I am trying to do now.

Except the wireless router worked, became invisible the next day, web setup didnt work, didnt show up in a network scan.

And than the network started stealing IP's from it's DCHP instead of my cisco.

Have to give it another shot though.

Since you already have a wired router, you do not need to wireless unit to be a router as well. Look for a wireless "base station" of some sort. The are "dumber" units, but is all you need if you already have a router. Just plug it into the router and it will take care of the DHCP funtions. This should be a cheaper route and be just/more effective.

just buy a wireless router...it comes with ports in the back like shawn said...thats wat i currently have...one wireless and one hooked up by ehternet to wireless router

my parents just bought that router for me and we cant return it so the would be pissed if they found out that they just wasted money on it

sell the stupid thing on ebay and buy a wireless one. are you parents that advanced that they would really notice the difference. i know if i changed something at my parents house and it still worked fine they would have no clue

Okay this is how you do it

On your wired router make your DCHP only assign about 100 adress's, have a few spare IP's in the same subnet.

Turn the connection onto cable mode and manually enter in your DNS's, you may need to use a fully static connection.

Change your wireless router's IP to an IP in the same subnet as the wired router

Connect wire from 2 ports (not wan) if your router's are auto sensing. If not you need to buy an x-over cable.

BACKUP YOUR ROUTER SETTINGS

Turn off DCHP

Connect with a wireless card and see if you are pulling IP's from your wired router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom