Power Supply Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethor

Solid State Member
Well, My Computer Turned off abruptly about 2 weeks ago. It now happens after being on the computer for 5 min. I have bought a UPS and tried that but it didnt do anything to help. I was wondering, should I get it looked at or just buy a new PSU. I would think the PSU would be the only thing that would cause this but im not sure, please help!

thanks

Viruses can cause symptoms like that. Random reboots are usually caused by things like faulty memory, overheating, and yes bad/insufficient PSUs.

Do you use any temperature monitoring software? If not, go to www.cpuid.com and download PC Wizard.

To test your memory, go to www.memtest86.com and make a bootable disk, and boot off of it.

For you PSU, list what it is rated at, and then tell us what hardware you have.

hmm lets see..my Specs arent very good but I am working on getting a better PC soon, this is what i have:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1.51 GHz)
512 MB RAM (2 256's)
450w PSU came with case
nVidia GeForce FX 5200
PCCHIPS W30 Socket A SiS 748 MotherBoard
ePOWER Warrior ATX Case
40 GB Ultra DMA

My CPU was not operating at the correct speed (was at 1.1 GHz =/), but I got somone to get that back up to its normal speed.

Ok, so your PSU isnt insufficent (thats not to say it isnt faulty, though).

Try taking one stick of RAM out (while computer is turned off), and booting up. Then swap the stick that is in the computer with the one you just took out.

Elbatrop1 said:
Ok, so your PSU isnt insufficent (thats not to say it isnt faulty, though).

Try taking one stick of RAM out (while computer is turned off), and booting up. Then swap the stick that is in the computer with the one you just took out.

Swap while the PC is running? or am i an idiot

could be. also could be dust. if u havent cleaned that comp out, u should. the dust building up the parts can be BAD and can leave to overheating. Go at it with compressed air. i blast mine every other month and completely take apart and clean it every 6 months or so,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom