Installing Linux on my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qiranworms

Fully Optimized
I've gone through many many many distros...mainly because of how hard it is to get a laptop display configured properly. As well, my GeForce 4 440 Go hasn't had much success. RedHat 8 worked well, and I came to enjoy it very much. Got rid of it because the new Mandrake (9) had come out and I was told it would be better. How ridiculous. Never got the laptop display configured properly. Couldn't use it. I went through many other distros, and never found one that worked 100%. Lycoris was nice, but it wouldn't leave 640 by 480 without screwing up the image completely (with a 1600 by 1200 native res, mind you). The distro I got working was SuSE, and I didn't like it very much. It just wasn't the same...well, anyhow, RH 9 worked, but when I left my monitors native resolution, instead of doing what normally happens when a resolution is changed, the image just shrank into the center of my screen, leaving a border, using only the number of pixals I specified (1024 by 768). Any idea how to help? Any way of getting a good, solid, Linux distro without moving back to RH 8...or perhaps is that what I should do?

Thank you very much.

try dropping the res down and see what happens. i've never had that prob w/redhat before..then again i've never installed to a notebook either. try linux laptop.

Redhat is over unless you want to switch to the enterprise edition. Time to taste the flavour of Debian or Gentoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom