Ddr Vs. Ddr2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aboynamedmatt

Baseband Member
Hey guys I was wondering what the main differences are between DDR and DDR2. I was thinking about upgrading to another motherboard and I was wondering about whether or not to get one with DDR2 or not. Is it really worth the price difference? Also is it better to get DDR2 with AMD or Intel (I'm not even sure if AMD boards have DDR2 support yet)?

DDR2 is 533mhz and has the notch off center by like 2 pins.. not sure if there are any other differences.

I don't see ddr being phased out anytime soon. The limitations are currently on MB bus throughput and hard drive throughput. Having an increase from 4500mb/s of memory throughput to 6000mb/s of throughput really isnt going to do you any good if your hds only churn out 50mb/s.

Until otherwise noted, you always want to go with amd. they're currently the king of processors.

Do you think it will hurt me in the long run to not get DDR2 though, like do you think programs will catch up to it soon and it will make a difference?

by the way, nice computer ^^ i want one similar

DDR2 is going to be like RDRAM i believe.. here today gone tomorrow.

It does the trick, not as great as it looks on paper.

DDR2 has faster stock speeds than DDR1 RAM, I believe that they've hit 800MHz with DDR2 but I'm not certain. I know for a fact they at least have DDR2 667. However, DDR2 has much higher latencies than DDR1 RAM, and costs a helluva lot more.

DDR2 is an Intel only platform at the moment, if you are buying an LGA775 system you will be using DDR2, and any other socket will use DDR1. There is no choice between the two.

In my opinion, it would be best to get a cost effective Athlon 64, 3000+ is dirt cheap right now as is DDR1 compared to DDR2. Hypertransport bus makes up for the DDR2 bandwidth with speeds up to 8.4GB/s.

I'm not even sure if AMD boards have DDR2 support yet

Youre right, AMD doesnt use DDR2.

not sure if there are any other differences

DDR2 uses 240 pins as well.

DDR2 is going to be like RDRAM i believe.. here today gone tomorrow.

I disagree. There is enough computers out there now that have/support DDR2 that it is gonna be here to stay.

I believe that they've hit 800MHz with DDR2 but I'm not certain

It was a few days ago :D I went to tomshardware to post a link for the 800MHz, but now it is up to 1000MHz:
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050510_200025.html

The skt775 systems that I have used seem pretty fast. If you like Intel, then skt 775 with DDR2 would be pretty sweet:)

And what's funny about that as well is

That's 6.4 gig of bandwdith, im using high latency cheap generic PC3200 DDR RAM on an AMD system and getting 5800

So if you run ram with decent timings at PC3500, AMD will outpeform intel RAM Wise

Well, yeah, it has a CL of 5:eek: , but this does show the potential of DDR2. And just to let aboynamedmatt know, AMD is also planning on going DDR2 next year.

So what would the bandwidth be with the onboard controller, CL2 and 1GHz RAM running 1:1? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom