Thermal Gel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thin and spread out, the job of this is similar to the job of a headgasket in a motor, to form a bond between the two to allow heat transfer, you do not want to put it on to thick about as much as two human hairs thick wise and try not to have it ooze out, hand inside a plastic bag is a good way to spread it out as someone said.

And yes I understand in a motor it is to prevent leaking of pressure.

-Ryan

The amount differs slightly based on the cpu. On AS's website, they recommend a bit more for AMD 64's than Pentiums. About a grain and a half of rice for the AMD's.

You place a small dot of it in the center of the core, put your heatsink on, rotate it one degree and then secure it on. The pressure from the heatsink as well as the heat from the processor will distribute the paste accordingly.

Gaara, i dont agree 100%. Depending on how much you apply, will determine how much will spread from the force. I can see 80% of people trying that, and either putting to much or to little. I know gaara knows. But for other people, its not about just having thermal paste in the center of the cpu. It must be spread out EVENLY. Because the howl cpu distributes heat to the heatsink. Not just the center of the cpu.

If you feel like waiting weeks on end with a very hot CPU and heatsink to get it to spread good then thats ok.... Just try to spread it out a little or put 4 VERY small dots around the center like i do.... Err im probably the only guy that does that....

I'm going to have to agree with Gaara. You cannot leave all of the heat transfer up to the compound, yu have to let the metal on metal contact do the transfer. Put a little dot in the middle of the cpu, and strap down the heatsink. The compound is designed to fill into the little grooves where there is no metal on metal contact. When you bolt down the heatsink, the compound will be dispersed accordingly. Where there is metal on metal contact, compound will not go. Where there is no metal on metal contact, compound will go. If you put too much compound on, it will bunch up and not allow the heatsink to sit properly, impeding heat exchange extremely. I once put an even layer of AS5 on my cpu, and strapped my water block to it. My computer was overheating sooo bad. I had the shutdown temp at 149F, but since my computer will not turn off, long story, different story, it would click right back on, start to load windows, overheat, shutdown, click back on, and start the loop over again. It's a vicious cycle. I didnt realize that maybe is was overheating, and i had to clean the AS5 off an reapply it. I did so, and put a dot in the center about the size of a grain of rice. Stays at around 100F.

And get the expensive stuff. Something like this you do not want to cheap out on. It is vital to the healthyness of your cpu. Arctic Silver 5 is the best, a little on the expensive side, but more than worth it.

Yeah, I'm sure I did put on too much. But spreading a layer on the cpu is quite easy to mess up, and applying the dot in the center is far more effective, since the best way to transfer heat is through straight on metal on metal contact and not through and intermediary.

What is to say that the dot in the middle is going to spread across the whole processor though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom