Buying a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfilly

Beta member
Hi everyone!

I am a complete newbie here. I am typing on an ancient computer :D I am in the market for a new one. Right now I have a hewlett packard. I have been pretty happy with it, never needed repairs or anything at all. It is older and so it is slow. I really was thinking I'd buy another Hewlett Packard computer. The model I was looking at is HP Pavilion 3.00GHz a375c-b desktop.

Here's some info on it:

Processor and Memory:

-Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.00 GHz with hyper-threading technology

-512 KB secondary-level cache (L2)

-2700 MB/sec memory speed

-800MHz front-side bus

-512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory (expandable to 4GB)

Hard drive and multimedia drives:

-160 GB 7200 RPM Ultra DMA hard drive

-3.5" (1.44MB) floppy disk drive

-DVD writer and CD-writer combo drive

-DVD-ROM drive 16 max. speed

Audio/video/graphics:

-Integrated AC97, six speaker configurable

-NVIDIA GeFroce FX 5200 AGP 8x graphics card with 128MB DDR video memory, TV out, and DVI support

Data /fax/modem

-Integrated 10/100 base-T network interface
-High-speed V.92 ready data/fax modem

Expandability:

-4 DIMM (184-pin DDR) (2 available)
-2 external 5.25" (occupied)
-2 external 3.5" (occupied)
-2 internal 3.5" (occupied)
-3 PCI (2 available)
-1 AGP (occupied)

Ports

front mounted ports

-7-in-1 digital media card reader
-1 firewire (IEEE 1394) port
-2 USB 2.0
-MICROPHONE/HEADPHONE/LINE-IN

external ports

-front panel 7in1 digital media card reader
-6 USB 2.0
-2 firewire ports
-1 serial
-1 parallel
-2 PS/2 (occupied by mouse and keyboard)
-1 VGA
-mircophone/headphone/line-in

Keyboard mouse and monitor:

-HP wireless keyboard with full media control
-wireless optical mouse
-f1903 19" LCD flat panel display with adjustable base and Harman Kardon speakers

Bundled software

-Operating system Windows XP home edition
ETC... software

Alright the grand total is $1,798.63

What do you all think about the setup? The monitor? I've read a little about the monitor and some about what everything means. Money isn't a huge issue, just wanted to be under $2,000. I don't know a lot about computers, so please bear with me.

Thank you all for your time!

Hey silverfilly,
I highly recommend that you do not buy an HP, I know that the older ones were good but the newer ones seem to cause quite a few problems. I would recommend you finding someone who could custom build a system for you, it would come out to be alot cheaper and alot more reliable. You could have a really nice system for about 800 plus monitor and accessories. And if you do decide to go with HP do not get the 375. Settle for the a350n. Alot better components and a great system over all if you're into HPs

Silverfly, eithr build one yourself or have someone do it for you. In the end you will have just what you wanted as well as it will be much cheaper.

I haven't heard alot of good Things about HP or Compaq. Gotta go with Trebor's suggestion.

DON'T get a Pavilion (or an HP, for that matter). Mine lasted about a month before it started having problems.

The only computer i have that i didn't build myself was an HP Pavillion, it works fine for a storebought. :p

What about a Dell? I have the copy of Consumer Reports and Dell rates well for technical support and repair history. I really don't want to build my own, I have hardly any knowledge when it comes to that sort of stuff. :( If you all had to buy one from the store, what brand would it be? Sorry for my lack of abilities when it comes to this stuff.

eww
If u buy those computers from company's most of them have the dirty integrated parts, different powersupplys, and ghetto motherboards. and towers are like small and ugly and EWWW DONT DO IT,

DONT BUY DELL! Being VP of www.slamnsystems.com (Slam'n Systems Computers) I've talked to many people who have told me Dell's support sucks deeply! A person, after 2 weeks, his computer fried and took Dell 3 weeks to get to his house to then say he has to wait another week cuz they don't know the problem yet! NO DELL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom