simple fan question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
My backup AMD computer was custom built for us, unfortunately, we skimped on the case. When I was working on the AMD comp today, I noticed that there was only one fan slot and NO FAN, my comp has NO FANS except for the obvious heatsink fan. So I measured the opening and ordered me a new 38.2 cfm 80mm sleeve fan.

Now, my question to you. The only fan slot is on the rear of the case, I know that the rear is mainly used for exhaust, but in the case of having only one fan, I'm not sure if it should be intake or not. If I used it for exhaust, would that pull enough air from the outisde to cool the comp down? Or would having an intake pull in more outside air?

Nubius, if you could help me too, I know you are the wiz of cooling fans :)

The only problem with using the rear slot for intake is that air wont hit anything. Another factor is that once air blows from a fan it only stays cool for a short while. Then its temperature adapts to the environment. So since the computer is warm, you will only inherit more warm air. Depending on the case, this can have a negitive effect.

But if you used it for exhaust, it will channel warm air from your system. Only if their is any air to control. Thats why you need some type of intake. So you have air flow. Personally, i would use it as exhaust. But overall, i would check your system temps. To find out how bad you need some type of cooling. Because you might even have to do more then add a single fan.

if i were u i would stick it as a intake then use motherboard monitor or abit idle and in load and see what ur temps are like. then swap it round and see whats better.

i would expect a intake to be better tbh well for ur cpu anyhow, because that will be gettin a cooler source of air

after thinking it over, i'm wanting to use it as an exhaust, even though most of the air will be warm case air, the vacuum the fan creates will still pull in some cooler air from the front and side vents.

LOL, and about the temps, this comp has ran for two years, sometimes being on for weeks at a time and has had no heat related crashes, I guess I'm lucky.

I want to check my temps, what are good programs for that, I used to use Sisoft Sandra, but I don't trust the temp part of the program.

I do hope that you have cleaned it out a few times during those two years... or you have dust bunny central.

I would just put in some of your own in the front, self tapping screws or something. Cases are something that I realized you cant go el chepo on now.

-Ryan

you can possibly try this out as well...

LOGISYS Computer CF108 70mm Blue LED Light 3D Blue LED Edge Fan Kit - Retail

Of course at Newegg... But this works pretty good for cerculation as well... I use it in my wife's confuser...

ohGrFreak said:
Kewl, I could use the Vid Card one, my old 5200's fan broke a year ago. :(

I don't know where the other single fan goes, is that a heatsink fan?

No... it's a PCI slot type a fan setup. go to Newegg and look up the fan specs. you can put the fans in a number of different configs to help your needs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom