Fastest 7,200 RPM drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people have this total misconception that RAID 0 instantly increase Speed / Performance of the drives. This simple isn't true. I've read many...many... benchmarks that prove this. There might be in some cases a very slim increase in performance, but it isn't on a visual level. And this slim performance is only in SOME (Chipset / Harddrive) combinations.

You're idea to buy a 10,000RPM raptor for speed is a good one. But, you also have a concern for storage. You're ultimate problem is lack budget to invest in a 74GIG $183.00 raptor, let alone buy two of them to increase storage.

RAID or (Redundant Array or Inexpensive Discs) - RAID 0 really isn't what RAID arrangements are for. RAID is ment to provide parity and safety in storage. Protection from losing data from faulty drives.

RAID 0 is a good option for people like yourself. You need storage but can't afford a huge drive.

EXAMPLE:
1 Seagate Barracuda 400GIG 7200 RPM with NCQ is roughly $310.00 USD (newegg.com)

2 Seagate Barracuda 200GIG 7200 RPM with NCQ is roughly $116.00x2=$232.00 USD (newegg.com)

By buying 2 of the 200GIG HDD's and Setting them up in a RAID 0 configuration you have achieved your storage and saved $78.00.

This also works with most drive sizes.

Another Example is: I have (2) WD Raptors 74GIG 10,000rpm in RAID 0 because of the speed of a 10,000 RPM drive, plus I also wanted the extra storage of 148GIG. BUT, then i also wanted Additional storage 400gigs. So instead of buying 1 400gig drive i saved almost $80.00 and bought 2 200gig drives and put them in RAID 0. NOTE: my Motherboard also supports 8 SATA controllers.

Hope this helps you!

Heh, I had a feeling you might misinterperet what I meant there Uzi. I just meant that I know that I should obviously get a drive with 8mb cache, and that I'd really like 16.

In the end, I have two possible outcomes, well three, but the third would require a small miracle. In the ideal situation, I'd get two raptors and put them in Raid-0 (small finance miracle needed since I've decided it's just not worth $400 of mine at this point). Less ideal, but still good, I'd get a single raptor, along with a storage drive. I think this is what I will end up doing, as I really want a raptor at the heart of my system. Lastly I might get the 2x160Gb WD combo in raid-0 as listed above.

I think I will end up with a single raptor, but it's hard to look at my setup and think that my HD cost $10 more than my video card (eVGA 6600GT). Over the past couple weeks I've tried to do a lot of scaling back of my planned system, but I think I went too far trying to cut BOTH raptors :).

HAVOC2k5, i dont agree at all with you... Raid0 increase performace alot.. It is visual man.. I dont understand how you can say you have read so much about it. But say it barely helps.. The way it processes data, is genius.

I have dual WD Raptors in raid0 also. I have ran them without raid0 various times. You can notice the speed increase right off the bat. I plan on getting another 2 WD Raptors this summer.

For your orignal question, all 7200 8mb HDD are the same yo. Seagate or even WD. Those are the systems specs. Your safe with WD or Seagate.

Codeine said:
The way it processes data, is genius.

I second that. I don't have a raid system on my computer, so I haven't seen the performance gain first hand. But, I would imagine that it should be noticeably faster with a good controller - but obviously not 2x.

Seagate are fast, reliable, and quiet also. Not to mention the nice 5 year warranty they come with unlike the others, only the Raptors can match that warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom