P4 Extreme Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
I was just reading in PC World and on the Intel website about the P4 Extreme Edition. It's 64bit and dual core. How come I have not heard alot about it? Am I out of the loop or does the processor suck?

I assume you are refering to the XE 840, which is the only dual core XE out. There have been previous XE processors which you could probably compare to an AMD FX processor, the XEs originally featured bigger L3 caches of 2MB, but that is nothing special now.

I wouldn't say it sucks as it is a high end processor and I would kill have one handed to me for free, but compared to the Athlon X2 processors, it is quite a disappointment.

Intel will never SNIFF an AMD processor of any name, shape or kind when it comes to GAMING.

AMD just simply does it better. I've had P4 3.73 Extreme Edition and now i have the FX-55. There isn't a comparison in gaming benchmarks.

But, when it comes to Rendering or Video Editing... Intel's the way to go.

Intel Extreme Edition= Ripoff, crap.

AMD FX-55= HOLY HELL!!!!!!! WOOOT!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line: Intel should stop embarrasing their selves, with their weak ass processors.

The only good thing i see Intel doing is large cache sizes. Because that will influence the market. But for an extra 1mb cache size, its like 400$ more. Its simply not worth it. Another thing, cache size does not always matter.

If Intel wanted some fast chips. They should start coming out with 1.6ghz FSB.

So what about an AMD 64 3700+ VS. a P4 3.4? The P4 has the larger L2. Will the 64 blow it out of the water?

fx 55 is the same as the amd 64 3200 (10x default multiplier) clawhammer except 12x default multiplier.. it's also multiplier unlocked.
(they come off the same wafer)

amd will always do better with video editing.. it's just that companies like avid wont support you if you're on a dual operton.

p4s usually run at 45c+ p4 3.2s benchmark @ 9-10000 mips
^ the new chipset (775 or whatever it is, the pinless ones) run at 50-60c easy

xeons usually run at 40c+ dual xeon 3.2s benchmark @ 17000mips
amd64s run at 25c+ amd 64 3200 benchmark @ 11000 mips
opterons run at 30c+ dual opteron 246s benchmark @ 22000mips

intel sucks.. at least for the moment.

worrying about the different cache sizes isnt important.. what is important are the benchmarks, they say it all.

the 3.73 ghz P4EE which is about 1 grand can be overclocked anywhere from 4.2 ghz and up depending on cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom