Win XP- how many pcs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well honestly the rules are grey, and us with 1 copy of XP and 2 PC's is not that bad

I have the same CD key in like 4 comptuers now, each have their own CD Keys but they ran outta activations

You can only put one copy of Windows XP on one machine but I have read that Microsoft doesnt mind up to three, I would not push it though, just not worth it. Just becasue they dont mind it doesnt mean they wont find out and sue you.

-Ryan

The cd is a valid purchased copy and it is not illegal to install it on multiple computers. i have checked into it. that is the type of license you get with it but if you want to blame me for piracy go ahead i wont lose any sleep over it

No reason to get snappy, buddy. The legal way to do that would be if it was a VLK (Volume License Key) copy. In which case, you will get one key and CD, but you have to purchase a seperate license for each machine. It is obviously cheaper than a full version of the OS, but still costs money.

There is no way around it, or other wy to put it. It is simply illegal to put a single copy of Windows on more than one machine. The rules are very gray, but thats how it is. Yes, MS prolly dosent mind about the 3 activations, but that is the home user. They are more concerned with big companies having all legit versions.

Jusst because they dont check for this sort of thing, dosent mean it isnt illegal.

Him said:

Yes but read this...........

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer,
such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation
Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one
processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

Nothing is said that you cant install it on multiple computers. Technically you can as long as you agree to that term.

WOW, the never ending discussion...
This is something that will never end. how much will it cost me in the end is the question you must answer. This is from both sides.
Tothe consumer, $200 for an OS seems high, so OK, i'll install it on all my machines and save the extra money. if your caught, it's going to cost you a ton more than the $600 would have.
the the business, Compnay 1(for example), it's $15,000 for all the needed licenses and assosiated cost. They purchase 1500 computer licenses for 1300 machine and keep an extra 200 so they can grow.
Company 2, buys one, $200 version off the shelf and then installs it on 1500 workstations. This saves them 29,800, right? no, in the end, when they get audited by MS or any of the other antipiracy companies, they find they are out of compliance. Oh, and it's a $5000 fine for every error. so that is like 7,495,000 in fines...
Yes, the number are inflated, but the truth is not. Sure, you can get away with using your 1 install on several machines, and sure, why not do it, right? well first, it's not legal. Whether that means anything to you or not it up to you, but in a court of law, you were wrong. Second, it's illegal.
Weather or not you want to admit it, and no matter how much you want to debate the minute details of the EULA, you will still come down to the same conclusion. You can only install and use a Windows OS on 1 machine. Any more than that, and you are in violation of the EULA that you accepted when you installed the OS.
if anyone has something that will show that I am wrong, without question, then post it.

Good luck

Inaris said:
Weather or not you want to admit it, and no matter how much you want to debate the minute details of the EULA, you will still come down to the same conclusion. You can only install and use a Windows OS on 1 machine. Any more than that, and you are in violation of the EULA that you accepted when you installed the OS.
if anyone has something that will show that I am wrong, without question, then post it.

Good luck

Tell that to defense attorneys that nit pick every little detail. It says it right there........ You can have it on multiple computers, but not to be running in more than 1 instance at any given time.

If you ever had to go to court over this matter. You can easily get out of it. If you point out what it says in the EULA, which is a legally binding contract.

You are right.. never ending discussion.
let me put it to you this way.... small chance you'll get caught. if you do. MS is more worried bout pirated sellers... or what ever ud like to call em.
anyhow id say use the EULA thing if u get caught which you wont... i HIGHLY doubt it. but just dont tell the world u did. if u decide to that is. and no i am NOT telling u to do it legally or illegaly im just saying be smart.

also every one breaks the law once in a while no one can say they never have. so plz no one post that they have never broke a law...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom