floppy drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Baseband Member
Yea i realize these are cheap, but yea well im cheap.... Anyway my floppy drive the light shows up on it, and its listed in my computer, checked the bios and its dectected it. The problem is when i put a disk in and click the 3.5 floppy icon, after a few seconds a message comes up saying please insert disk. Ive also checked the power cables and the ide cable, both were fine, and even tried changing the ide cable which did nothing. Id assume my drive is shot but something just doesnt seem right. I built this computer myself about a year ago, and id say the drive only ended up working for about a month... but i unforuntly i need it now to reformat. i know floppy drives can die fast, but one month?

Hmm..... You try using a different floppy disk?

What OS are you trying to install? You dont need a floppy if it is 2000/XP, you can straight boot from the CD and setup takes care of the formatting a partitioning.

Realy? i have xp, didnt realize i could boot from the cd, so used to do it the old way i guess. How would i do that then just run it like a regular cd?

go into your BIOS, and make sure the boot order is set to boot from the CD before the HDD. Then restart with the CD in your drive, and pay attention. There will be a part that says "Press any key to boot from CD..." And will give you about 10-15 seconds before it boots from the HDD. Do that, and follow the instructions. When you choose the Install XP option, it will present you with the option of formatting the drive with NTFS, NTFS (quick), and FAT32. Go with NTFS, and not the quick one.

alright thanks, i kinda remember that now, il have try that in a little while after i back up my stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom