boot up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
I am using my backup computer right now because of the problem I am having with my main comp.

I installed the original Half Life on my computer which has XP Home SP1 fully updated. A Half Life message popped up and said that there were compatability issues with the game and my version of windows and I being an idiot, continued anyway. The install went seemingly fine after that but when I tried to update the game, the screen went low res and the comp froze until I brought up task manager and closed the game, but the screen was still low res and the game music was still playing, although the music was stuck on one part and sounded like it was skipping.

Now, I did a proper shutdown and tried to reboot, but now it gets stuck at the loading screen where the windows logo appears. I left it sit for an hour and still it's stuck. I went into safe mode and did some registry cleaning and virus cleaning and everything was fine in safe mode, and everything was fine in safe mode with networking. But when I try to boot normally it gets stuck and also when I try to boot in last known good configuration it gets stuck.

Please help me guys, I never messed up my comp this bad before. Any advice is appreciated. If you need to know more like specs or anything, just ask.

Thank you,
Matthew/ohGr

Can you uninstall the game through safe mode? Perhaps there was an issue with your video card. Unload the game, and try to reload your video card drivers.

Thank you, my attention towards computers has drifted away because I have put it more towards my family and my new house, so I forgot the obvious things to try when problem solving my comp. LOL, I'll get back to you guys and tell you how it goes in a few.

I uninstalled the game and reloaded the latest Nvidia drivers for my 6800. Now I'm doing a system restore as I type.

The restore went through the first phase and now rebooted my comp, and it's stuck at the loading screen again, any other suggestions?

I would like to ask another question and I don't think it deserves it's own thread.

How exactly do I do a repair with my XP disc? I tried to repair and I clicked on upgrade instead and that didn't help much. So, do I act like I am reinstalling windows and eventually I will have a repair option? There just ins't a repair option on the main XP disc's page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom