One monitor...two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuaz

In Runtime
I have a toshiba laptop. I also have a system which needs a new Processor/motherboard, so at the moment it is doing nothing but i thinking of getting it fixed. If so could i do it so the system uses the laptops monitor..rather than me buying a *new* monitor?

Thanks

Stuart

P.S: Also looking for a new graphics card. I have limit of £150, any good recomendations?

I dont think you can use the laptop monitor as the system monitor, unless you have a video in. Do you?

That's S video, but that is most likely a video out. It's not common to have a video in on a laptop. but yes, S-video is similar to a mouse, or PS/2, port. If you have a video in, it will be labeled as so. Either than, or it will have a little picture next to it with an arrow pointint towards the center of it.

Nah it has the arrow pointing out....so i take it that its not possible to do that then...damn

Unfortunetely. Unless there is a PC card you can get to give you video in, but I dougbt that. Laptops are pretty limited beyond what technology they already have onboard.

You can go vice-versa though. You can hook a monitor to the back and use it as the monitor for your laptop. Thats not what you wanted to do, but I'm just saying it is something you can do if the will suits you.

Him said:
You can go vice-versa though. You can hook a monitor to the back and use it as the monitor for your laptop. Thats not what you wanted to do, but I'm just saying it is something you can do if the will suits you.

So i could get one monitor and hook my desktop and laptop to it. Any special wires or adaptors needed? Would i need to like arternate wires if i want to use each different computer..cos that could get slightly annoying!! lol

(thanks for your help btw)

That switch that I posted before your last post. It's called a KVM switch (Keyboard-Video_mouse) and it is for hooking one set of Keyboard, Monitor and mouse to two or more computers. It just depends on which switch you get. They are relatively cheap.

And you are very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom