xp pro x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygor

Daemon Poster
I got my copy of the the recently released XP Pro X64 off MSDN and a nice key to replace my old pro one off microsoft... I was pretty excited, it installed beautifully, its nice and fast and i was able to find full/beta drivers for everything. However I cant help but feel a little dissapointed: having seen my boss install tiger on his mac last week, i was impressed by the flashy tricks and look that the os has (and I dont like macs), so installing x64 i was thinking "ooh what nice things have microsoft added?": The answer it seems is nothing. x64 looks identical to standard 32bit xp pro. Though you get a 32bit version of IE and a 64bit version of IE (but I hate IE). I have got firefox 32 and a beta of firefox 64 installed so I am happy with that.

I just feel that ms could have made a bit more effort with x64, after all XP has been about for years now, but so far my exploring has yet to come up with anything special about x64... apart from the important fact that my processor is now being used properly (except when running 32bit apps). I look forward to 64bit versions of photoshop and games, movie players etc, so I know it will be a good os to have, i just feel let down by there being no layout changes!

Oh well. I am happy I have it anyway!

I am glad you got it to work well for you.I ran into alot of problems with it so I split it up between XP-64 and XP pro 32.I found that some programs just crashed on the 64 bit.However I am using the bata version.

I think because it is just a 64-bit make of XP, they left it the same. I think when Longhorn comes out there is going to be a bit more flashy/fancy things.

System requirements

Supported processors: AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Xeon with Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support

256 MB RAM

1.5 GB available hard-disk space

Super VGA (800x600) or higher resolution video card

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

I remember way back in the day seeing screen shots of Longhorn. It was pretty hot! Like Linux, they have 6 customizable desktops to choose between. I cant explain that any further, except it is just like what Linux does.

OSX was the same, with the flashy-ness of it. That's what catches peoples eye with the Mac os, is the flashy-ness of it. Other than that, even though it is built on Unix, it sucks.

Where can I obtain a copy of Windows x64?

Because they have a lisence to sell it.

Glad you have had a good expirence w/ Win XP x64. You shouldn't have expected anything big; it's Exactly what it says it is, Windows XP in 64 bits...I probably couldn't find drivers for everything that I use.

Does anyone know how well the version from newegg runs? I mean, is it loaded with bugs? I'm building this guy a system, an AMD x64, and I will be installing Windows x64... Hopefully. He's old, computer illiterate, and lives rather far from me so I cannot be tech support. I just want to know if it will run fine, or will I be better off just throwing on regular XP Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom