Thermal Gel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
Okay...my question should be fairly simple. I have a processor that I wish to overclock.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket-939

My fan is:

Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 Heatsink/Fan

I did not get the fan in the mail yet, but I have thermal gel from the regular fan that came with the processor. My question is this... how much thermal gel do I put on the processor? I have looked everywhere and cannot find the answer to my question. Could somebody explain to me how much I need?

Also, will the thermal gel that came with my regular processor fan be okay, or do I need to order some better stuff?

Hey, thanks.... another question though. If the processor has old thermal gel on it when I take the fan off, do I need to wipe that up somehow before applying the new gel or something?

You pu tit on the CPU, just a little bit, about the size of a rice grain. Then with your finger in a ZIP Lock bag, you spread it around.

Just make sure thermal paste is evenly covering the processor. Thick enough to the point where you cannot see the metal of the processor.

When i apply new thermal paste. I whip off of cpu, removing thick paste. Then i just use a damp rag removing the rest.

Wow...covering the CPU enough so that I can't see the metal? Doesn't it squeeze out the sides when I apply pressure while putting the fan and heatsink on?

Also, does it matter what kind of thermal gel I get? ($2 cheap stuff compared to $15 stuff).

What happens when it oozes out onto the sides of the CPU?

Reading this post, I could so see someone putting thier CPU through the dishwasher to get the thermal gel/paste off their CPU...

It shouldn't ooze out onto the sides of the CPU, unless you put to much.... Sometimes i put a little to much and it goes off onto the sides but not enough to where it hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom