r520 delayed for ATi AMR

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah don't know about you guys, but I don't spend my time 'playing' 3dmark05

This is just stupid. Right now, Pixel Shader 3.0 is a VERY ESSENTIAL technology, and it doesn't matter how high ATI gets its 3dMark05 scores, if you can't play the games with the eye candy, it doesn't matter. ATI fanboys try to downplay the role of PS3.0, but the truth is its one of the biggest graphical advancements I've seen, and until ATI gets PS3.0, anything they put out is extremely lame IMO. I may have to just get my 6800 GT now that the prices are going down and it will be longer till the new cards are released.

I wouldn't say its "essential" bee but PS 3.0 is the tech used for next next gen games. As of now, ATI is behind in the tech race. Most people would agree that other than graphic artist, high end GPUs are meant for gaming pleasure. Lost Coast will be a glimpse of the future but I guess that is how ATI wants to make more money I guess. Release the X800s with PS 2.0 and then force people to upgrade again when PS 3.0 games come out.

I think the consumers who just bought the X850 XL are REALLY REALLY pissed. In fact, I think ATI should consider a "free" upgrade for those consumers once the R520 comes out. I have some ATI friends including myself that will not buy ATI anymore. Their drivers are utter crap as well. Fix one thing break another. Whats even sad is that ATI sponsored HL2 and their current drivers are HORRIBLE with HL2. Sad really. Where as Nvidia completely dominates in Doom 3.

I'm leaning to the 6800 Ultra when I upgrade later this summer.

I heard about this guy that just spent $900 on an X850XT P.E., and when presented with the PS3.0 question, he responded with "It's not about the graphics." Who the hell spends that kind of money on a graphics card and doesn't care about the graphics? I think he will change his mind as time moves on. X850XT PE users should get free upgrades to the R520, because its basically robbery the way it is now.

beedubaya said:
I heard about this guy that just spent $900 on an X850XT P.E., and when presented with the PS3.0 question, he responded with "It's not about the graphics." Who the hell spends that kind of money on a graphics card and doesn't care about the graphics? I think he will change his mind as time moves on. X850XT PE users should get free upgrades to the R520, because its basically robbery the way it is now.

That guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

GRAPHICS is THE central word in GRAPHICS card. Nobody buys a $900 GPU if the primary concern is not graphics. There is no other purpose for a high end GPU. That guy is just in denial that he made a bad purchasing decision. I forgot what that type of behaviour is called (which should be alarming because I am getting a major in marketing :eek:) but he is just trying to convince himself he made the right decision.

To save PR, ATI should give free or discounted upgrades for those consumers. But of course they can just cite that they are not liable for consumer purchase decsion since ATI did not do any manipulative marketing or anything. But yeah it's robbery or stupidity on the consumer part. If I was buying something $900 I do some research.

ATI disappoints me and I am an ATI guy. I feel sorry for anyone who bought the X850 for HL2 and think they could play Lost Coast on the best quality.

hu_xu said:
That guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

ATI disappoints me and I am an ATI guy. I feel sorry for anyone who bought the X850 for HL2 and think they could play Lost Coast on the best quality.

They are going to be in for a big suprise when the go into the settings for "The Lost Coast" and "enable HDR" and "enable high resolution water" is blacked out. There are many people falling for the ATI hype, as I did. But we have all kinds of X850XT users dissatisfied with their purchase, and they have ATI's flagship card! I can't say I will never purchase another ATI, but it will basically take another FX vs. 9800 situation to make me do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom