how old is too old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overclocker

Baseband Member
My laptop is about five years old now; the A\C to D\C converter is starting to scream yes scream as in a loud high pitched squeal. My screen has a blotch where the pixels are slightly dead, and the speakers randomly fail. However it works fine in regards to the internal workings, CD drive and the ports on the back. So should I spend money to replace the faulty parts or simply get a new laptop?

easy, of course a new laptop

you're spending money to fix an outdated laptop, that's doesn't really make sense

Very well, what would be a good choice? I need lots of memory, hard drive space, a fast processor. Nothing to do with top of the line graphics card or massive speakers, simply a rock solid computer.

Yea, definitely get a new laptop.

What are you going to use it for? What is your budget?

Well if that's all you plan to be doing on it, you could really get by pretty cheap. You'd still have a pretty dang fast computer, especially compared to your old one. I'd reccomend you check out Gateway. They make reliable computers. I bought a desktop from them about 5 years ago and back in November I bought my laptop from them. No problems with either. I even caused my thin and light notebook to take a 3.5 foot free fall directly on to concrete and the only damage is just some minor cosmetic stuff. The drive popped out, along with a bunch of covers on the back. Just had to pop it all back in... maybe it's designed to absorb the impact of a fall :). Anyway, gateway laptops are here: http://www.gateway.com/home/product...ard*PTBFreeShipping*home/index~~shtml?clv=img Notice there is a "Sales Chat" icon in the upper right corner of the page. You can IM with a salesman, which is nifty. But remember, you're IMing with a SALESMAN. They can be helpful, but you may want to come back here and ask our opinions on whatever laptop you come up with.

I strongly recomend upgrading to a high capacity battery and ultra-bright screen. They are both very cheap and verry effective upgrades.

Define high capacity battery? My current one has 3-4 hours of life, is there a type that can last longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom