Favorite Hardware Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

forlorn_ronin

In Runtime
This is a post for all people to participate in. IN my adventures starting a business a realized that stocking the correct hardware is essential. I had no clue to how many tech pieces were out there. Absolutely staggering. I need some advice as far as what you guys like to use to build with or parts and pieces of all hardware types. List model numbers specs etc. Anyting goes. Want it to be fun for all and it will also help me out with knowing what would be good to stock in my store. Hope this gets good replies! I would like to see it at the top. Always cool seeing what everybodies favorites are. I'm talking about cases, motherboards, graphics cards, memory, hard drives, power supplies, cpu chips, cooling fans, optical drives, everything goes!

basically lookat what sells good on newegg

sell them for cheaper on ebay and you'll get more business

Athlon 64 socket 939's are very popular, but still sell pentium 4's in socket 775, and maybe a few in 478.

Nvidia 6000 series and ATI X*** series graphics cards, in AGP and PCI-E

Abit and Asus motherboards

Seagate and Western Digital hard drives

LG, Sony and Pioneer DVD burners

Just letting you know, that their is a difference between what is good and what dumb people buy.

Just a few things:
RAM: have both value and performance, in 256-1 gig sizes, with dual channel kits as well
Video: Perhpas stok a few low ends (ATI 9600s perhaps), definatly some 6600GTs, in a few idfferent brands if possible, and a few higher end cards, 6800GT and ATI equivlent. Make it lcear to your customers that you can order a card of you don't have it right there in store
Hard Drives: I think many consumers are wowed by huge HDs. Stock some 120 gig, 160s, and some really big 200-300s
Random stuff: dont forget the cheap small stuff, for convenince. Stock lots of snagless cat5e and cat6 network cable in various lengths (and make sure to have some crossovers). stock some medical grade alchol and some Artic Silver 5 for the builders (should be able to get good prices, as I would think many would pay a decent permeium to have it immediatly. Some canned air would be good too. Assorted cables, Round IDEs, Molex splitter/extenders, fans, go for lighted ones, and the plain but ultra quiet. Have some screen cleaners on hand. Lots of CD-R spindles and cases. Ahhk, I'll just list the rest:
Memory cards/thumb drives
USB cables
perhpas a bin of assorted screws (I had a heck of a time trying to find some self tapping ones for my fan)
some PCI slot coolers
wire wrap
zip ties

Oh, and perhpas you should consider this, especially if your store is in a rual area: get a kick-a** internet connection (preferably cable), and offer it up to customers who want to download stuff, for free (or you could charge if you have a business-class agreement with the ISP). You would probably use it for the business anyway, and it mmight help to inspire some loyalty.

make sure u stock gigabyte asus msi for mobo's corsair kingston for ram 6600GTs 6800GTs X800pros X800Xls 9200 fx5200 Geforce 4mx440just the things that sell well. give differant brands of VGA cards eg asus gigabyte msi

not all these are the best performance but thats not what people want all the time eg kinston ram sells real well but absolutly sux for performance and cost

I can tell you that you need to overstock on 6600's and 6800's. You also need to stock up on all Athlon 64's you can, maybe a few FX-55's :)

Stock up on Corsair and Kingston and RAM like that. Get both value and Low/Extra-Low Lat.

This is a great post. Really helpful information guys. I am working on it as we speak. I say it will take me about two weeks to create all of the great items listed. Good item listing especially goes to digital for thinking about the odds and ends. I am definetly going to expand my motherboards and graphics cards first. Add some accessories like digital mentioned. Obviously vid cards are big as shorty and counter mentioned. Apokalypse made me think of adding some amd chips to my site which I will definetly do. Great advice guys. Stop in and see what you think occasionaly. And hey if you guys ever need anything give me a hollar. If I sell it independant of ebay I can sell it at a lower price to you. I'll start getting busy beginning of this week. I recently added a new MSI mobo. Think I'll work on some graphics cards and then amd chips next. Keep it up guys! Thanks!

Any really hot items you guys like to use in building a system? Like what's your favorite part you always use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom