Can I network with Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with the second nic in the XP box,, XP multi-homes quite nicely and the dhcp runs quite well,, you may even prefer to go static with so few PC,,

On the who can see what what?

on the win2k system, add the username of the username that you use on winxp. So if you use johndoe as a username for xp, add a username named johndoe to the win2k database. You don't have to do this for winxp for the win2k username.

Remember there is still authentication running here as this is a Psuedo network,,,

As for the Networking capabilities of the members of this forum,, I feel that the information is here,, BUT,, You , as a forum member must have SOME understanding of Network topology and connectivity...

My question would be,, what studying and research have you done to make the comment that this forum is not ready for Networking???

The whole concept of a Forum is to gather to gain Information, by your comment ,, you undermine the entire motivation for people to come here and post.. truly.. if you are not able to post to your pleasure here,, you are able to post elsewhere???

Be Nice ...

how am i not being nice?
im just speaking what i think
if you disagree what i think, thats you
i was just saying from my experience and from what ive seen around here
theres not much people who are really knowledgeable in networking.

and about the 2 systems, yes they are both logged in as the same name
on the winxp i cant detect nothing
someoen once told me i had to log in through the xp to the win2000kpro but i had no clue what he was talking about and one of my friends have the same problem as me with networking win2k and xp

rezurrectme please refrain from posting if you have no clue what you are talking about.

spfd i agree with what CrashAbbott is saying. win2k requires that user accounts be set up properly, i've had the same problem you had with win2k.

apokalipse said:
any OS below 2000 (except NT) cannot read NTFS, so they will not be able to read from its hard drive

hmmz yes they wil If you go to a drive via network it will work
say you take an win98 machine and you network to your 2k server
you acces the drives wich are ntfs you will be able to see and use them

and btw XP is able to use ntfs so that cant be the problem

hmmz did you setup an account on the 2k machine with the same username as the one on the XP machine if not try that and give it the correct rights

or if you don't care about security give everybody rights

(btw did you remember to share something on your 2k machine????)

you don't have to worry about the filing system with the computers when talking in the context of networks. this is taken cared of automatically and not handled by the user.

Right...the information within the post concerning the file systems not being readable is not correct when we are discussing networks.
If you have the same user accounts setup and then are logged in as this account on the XP machine you still may not be able to see the other shares on the PC right away, but try this. Open up explorer on the XP machine and then input the UNC path of the share in the address bar.
Example: \\win2kpc\sharename
With "win2kpc" being replaced with whatever the Windows 2000 pc name is. Same goes for the sharename. If the user accounts are setup correctly, you should be able to connect this way. If you are logged in using a different account name or a same account name with a different password then a dialog box will appear and ask you to authenticate to the 2000 PC. I have been doing the same for over 1 1/2 years at my house.

cocoa: Any more problems with your setup?

I would love to see a Networking Topic here and would reply to posts in a topic like this daily. I have suggested it before as well.

-Michael

thanks all for the replies, haven't actually had a chance to network as we first need to upgrade or buy new computers so I will be back to this post when that is completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom