Upgrading RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Counter-Strike

Daemon Poster
Okay, I want to get another 512 MB of RAM, making it like 1.2 GB or something. Anyways, I use PC2100, because this comp is old, but I make it like new. If I got a newer PC3200 RAM, could I use it? They have really good pricing on some newer RAM, like Geil, Corsair, and Crucial.

I have a GenuineIntel 478 184-Pin P4 MoBo

Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144305

I'm going more for quality/value rather than performance necessarily.

yea, that's good ram

btw, you should get pc3200, b/c you can use it when you build a new computer

if you get pc3200 ram and put it in your computer, it'll jus underclock itself to pc2100 and it can run with the other ram

Okay, I have Corsair 512MB 184-Pin 2100 RAM in right now, so Im thinking about getting a 1GB combo and setting it in dual channel, if I can even do that :p

Wow...good call man. I have two friends with that type of Geil RAM (512 MB with the blue heat spreader) and they both love it. I personally have the same type of RAM, except I went with a 1 GB stick when it was on sale.

Wayniac, this type of RAM is not performance RAM. Your board depends if it can run dual channel. So you'll have to find that out.

I wouldent bother gettings PC3200 man. Its going to cost more, and for that system you cannot utilize it. But overall, pretend you built a new system a year from now. Do you think your going to want Geil value ram? I wouldent think so, becuase by then even better RAM will cost around the price this RAM does.

So generally speaking, your not going to use PC3200. Once the time comes to built a new system. You can get something like XMS for around the same price.

Yeah but you could get 1gb of TwinMOS for $100 at newegg, and when you underclock them to PC2100 speeds they'll run 2-2-2-5 timings which is like having 'high performance PC2100' in a sense.

Then when you upgrade, they'll run PC3200 speeds like champs, and can OC like beasts provide you give them enough voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom