Compaq 5000 will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick_CheneyXXX

Beta member
I purchased a Compaq 5wv232/ 5000-series/ 700mhz amd/ 64 MB ram for $20.00. I had attempted to troubleshoot for co-worker previously with no luck. The cd-rom had died, the computer would lock up after 2-3 hours of use, and would not reboot for a day or so. Power works, Can hear hard drive start, then nothing. Just sits there. No sounds from hard drive, no monitor, nothing. I don't think I can get into bios. I haven't had it crash on me (since I purchased) to find out. Will try when crashes again, donÂ’t see that helping though. When I was working on the first time I replaced the cd-rom, flashed the bios, and took the battery out and reinstalled it. The fact that the cd-rom was dead led me to believe that the power supply was about to go and take everything with it one piece at a time as it died. Took apart and inspected, could not find any evidence of impending failure. Everything looked clean, no dark spot or swelled capacitors. I was able to reproduce problem by taking ram out and rebooting. DonÂ’t have any comparable ram right now to test after next crash. Anybody care to speculate? DonÂ’t really want to waste money on ram if itÂ’s possibly the mother board, hard drive, or something else.

so as soon as you turn this machine on there is nothing on the moniter before the os loads?? no bios info??

anythings possible
but a 700 mghz computers not that bad for office/netsurfing
if thats what u intended to use it for
most likely its ram or motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom