AMD's Dual-core Athlon 64 X2 reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
From what I've read on this forum about AMD, ir is no suprise to me that the new dual cores have gotten the great reviews that they have.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/athlon64-x2/index.x?pg=1

I especially like the part about the price:
"The X2 line will range from expensive to painfully expensive to root-canal-without-anesthetic expensive."

Seems they will be cheaper than Intel's dual core.

Him said:
I especially like the part about the price:
Yeah, I heard a quote for $980...but that was like 2 months ago, and that price would be comparable to some of the higher-end 64bit AMD's selling now.

I'm still waiting to see how this battle unfolds. I remain AMD faithful, and will always buy AMD chips...and right now Intel's getting spanked...But history has a way of showing things leveling out. :)

Him said:
"...root-canal-without-anesthetic expensive."
Done that.
Although I think the payment would be less painful, still.

Him said:

Seems they will be cheaper than Intel's dual core.

Haha, too true. I can't wait to see these things in action, I know that AMD will not disappoint.

Well in the long run I believe that AMD will win out slightly over Intel for a few reasons, first being that Intel came out with the chip first yes however AMD has won over the publics attention. Second is that with Intel coming out with it first, AMD can study the tactics and aim at the public a bit better marketing wise. Specs wise I believe that AMD will win because of 64bit. The transision from 32 to 64bit is painful and some do not want to give it up but in the end 64bit will win I believe.

Another thing is the fact that deisgn of the Intel chip has a slight flaw, even though the AMD does too, the Intel is more apparnt. The Intel Pentium D uses a shared bus and shared memory controller, where as the AMD Athlon 64 X2 uses a shared memory controller. I think we are going to have to wait for the AMD to come out to bench test both of them. To me this is almost like reinventing the processor.

-Ryan

Actually, I didnt read this earlier, but prices are comparable. Almost the same, within less then $100. They cheaper end dual core intel will actuall be slightly cheaper than the cheaper end dual core amd. I like intel, but am starting to ere to the side of AMD. But I am confident that at some point, dont know when though, Intel will reigne supreme once again.

I see it as Intel is going with all muscle and AMD is going with a bit of muscle and a bit of mind. Muscle being higher clock speeds and mind being larger bandwith, 64bit technology.

-Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom