Cannot format hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawnoking

Solid State Member
Hi.Am trying to do new installation (clean install) of windows xp pro and cant seem to get the option of formatting the drive.All it seems to do is rewrite over the previous installations(even though I choose new installation option).Since trying to reinstall I also keep getting the error "cant find c:\windows\system32\tools\delfolders.exe." It doesnt seem to be causing any problems as such as I can still use my computer but I would really like to format and get rid of any crap.Any ideas?Also clicking on C drive in My Computer and then clicking file and then choosing format, also says that windows cannot format this drive.Please close any utilities ................. and try again.No luck.Thanks.Darren.

think of it like this... if im using a basketball and trying to play the game.. should i pop the ball? prolly not.. kinda like formatting something that is in use

ok now for your answer:
get powermax to format... once u make the floppy reboot hit F8 or F9 as it reboots and itll give u a boot list. pick floppy itll load... follow the directions in powermax. then after that do the same but from cd, put in ur windows cd hit clean install and there u go. :)
back up ur junk! and if u have an extra hard drive UNHOOK IT!

What you need to do is put in your XP disk, reboot, and press F12 or whatever your boot menu is. then press boot from ide-cdrom or something that has to do with booting form your cd drive. then it will load a bunch of files and you will come to a blue screen. press install fresh copy of windows. then it will bring you to a menu with all your partitions. highlight the partitions and delete them all. then go and press create new partition. after you have done that press install windows onto selected partition with the new partition highlighted. It will start to format and form there its just installing windows.

please follow ALL steps.

i have done it 12 times and it has worked every time.

DO NOT try to format it with a floppy disk. u will have nothing but problems. use your windows cd.

He will be perfectly fine fdisking and formatting his pc with a floppy. Why did you say there will be nothing but problems? I do this on a weekly basis and have never had a problem.

for windows xp there is no point in using a floppy if u have the cd. plus doing it with a floppy would be to hard for him he doesnt sound that technologicaly advanced if he is trying to format the hard drive with windows running.

jcortes said:
What you need to do is put in your XP disk, reboot, and press F12 or whatever your boot menu is. then press boot from ide-cdrom or something that has to do with booting form your cd drive. then it will load a bunch of files and you will come to a blue screen. press install fresh copy of windows. then it will bring you to a menu with all your partitions. highlight the partitions and delete them all. then go and press create new partition. after you have done that press install windows onto selected partition with the new partition highlighted. It will start to format and form there its just installing windows.

please follow ALL steps.

I have done it 12 times and it has worked every time.

Everybody get confuse here, because when it say repair, they don't know that hitting Escape wil take them to the formatting, delete and create partition page, Because there is nothing there to tell them that.

I would go Blitze105 route, because you won't have to worry about this problem, plus it will clean your master boot record (MBR). it might be a virus there or Microsoft Spyware. none of windows tools are capable of messing with the boot sector (microsoft did that on purpose)

Blitze105 said:
think of it like this... if im using a basketball and trying to play the game.. should i pop the ball? prolly not.. kinda like formatting something that is in use

ok now for your answer:
get powermax to format... once u make the floppy reboot hit F8 or F9 as it reboots and itll give u a boot list. pick floppy itll load... follow the directions in powermax. then after that do the same but from cd, put in ur windows cd hit clean install and there u go. :)
back up ur junk! and if u have an extra hard drive UNHOOK IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom