telephone wire, ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

john23

Beta member
I was wondering whether I can use an existing 10 conductor telephone wire (only two are used for the phone) as an "extention" between an ethernet hub and another computer. I would install a jack on either end and plug in my computer to one and the hub to the other. I don't know if the telephone wire is cat 5, but quality isn't a huge issue since this connection will only be used sparingly. Bottom line: Will this work, and could it damage my equipment? Thanks.

Wouldnt damage your equipment, but I dont know if it would work or not. Cat5 is 8 conductor, and te telephone is only 4. How do you have 10?

Perhpas it is just more robust cable. Overkill can't hurt. My ethernet jack is wired with cat 5e and was originall intened to be used as a phone jack. Just means john has (or is) a smart electrician. Yeah, telephone is 4, so even if there wouldn't be any interferance between wires, you would only be left with 6. What kind of a phone do you have?

Umm ok I posted on here but it didn't stay :( . I said that it could work but would be just cheaper to go out and buy a Cat5 cable instead of the RJ45 connectors and the tool to put them on.

update

thanks for all your help. the telephone wire has 10 conductors because it is designed to handle several lines and runs underground to a garage. if i didn't have to dig a new trench to get the wire out there, i'd just buy a regular cat 5. i just didn't know if i will notice that much difference in performance if it wasn't "cat 5." i think interference might come into play, but i'm not sure if the fact that the wires aren't twisted makes any difference.

you should have asked in the network forum. I don't remember the explanation but telephones can use or integrate with network cables but not the other way around. the telephone wire can't serve as the backbone for a TCP/IP network. the twisting in network cables is to reduce electromagnetic interference from ajacent wires. try asking in the network section for a more accurate explanation.

can i still use it?

without a twist, will i just experience diminished performance or will at just not work? i don't mind if it runs a little slow, but if it simply won't work, that's another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom