Yet another monstrosity of a heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was this one heatsink that this guy modded and it had 12 heatsinks!
...........are you sure you aren't thinking of the dude who modded 2 XP-120's together and it had like 12 heatpipes?

i of couse dont know the facts because i havnt bought this heatsink or any other one like it just as haevy, and tested it.

but i could imagine that thermaltake would have put it threw variouse tests b4 production so thy wouldnt be bombarded with claims that there heatsink was the cause of breaking motherbourds inhalf.

so although it looks heavy, i bet there is little danger of it actually breaking something.

I'm not so sure. The huge Zalman ones come with explicit warnings regrading transporting the computer, and those have a heck of a lot less torque than this beast does. They almost certainly have warnings, it looks wildly out of AMD/Intel specs.

No, I dont think it would be very ahrd to break it. A socket is held to the board by many many many little soldered connections. If you have a big heavy heatsink hanging from your processor, it is putting strain mostely on the connections at the top of the socket. I cant imagine that one of these connections would be very hard to break. Since most of the weight is being held on the topmost connectors, then they would be the first to go in case of a break. Then the others would follow, sequentially.

Imagine, hearing those pins break row by row. It's like having everybone in your body broken, one by one. Equally as painful too.

Him - thats not how it works, the pins that connect the socket to the mobo have a combind strength greater then just a few little pins. A groupe of very short pins must be pritty strong anyway.. but that heatsink would probably be primarily used on a 64 or a 775 socket, witch has an extra bracket around the cpu to screwdown or hold down the hsf.

I failed to take into consideration how short the pins are, so they would all be combined. But, anyway, I wouldnt like a big heavy heatsink like that. Unless you mounted a bracket under the board, similar to a water block bracket. That would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom