reformatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GageMW

Daemon Poster
Ok, so I'm all setup with my sata drivers and cds and crap. i want to do a fresh install. how do i preceed? do i restart with windows cd in drive? open it from within windows? reformat drive first?
Whichever works best, i'd like to know :) plz explain.

Also, what are the first things i should do when reinstall windows for optimum preformance. i kinda forgot :p
i know to turn off the indexing service, install drivers and virus software. run windows update. anything i missed?
thanks,
Gage

boot off a win98 bootdisk and do the format. The you can make the cd drive your primary boot drive and boot of the xp cd to begin install OR you could just boot off the win98 bootdisk again with cdrom support and run the setup out of \i386\winnt.exe but remember to copy smartdrv.exe to your c drive and run it first for optimal copy speeds.

wth? why would i put windows 98 on? i dont even have a 98 disk.
can't i just do a reformat booting from xp disk?
anyone know of a way to just reformat the drive and put a fresh xp on there? i have xp on already, but its time to clean out the hdd

mate i just told you how to do it. Its just a bootdisk, its not win98. Why does everyone assume a win98 bootdisk is win98....jeepers.

If you dont want to do it that way, then just use the cd, I was giving you another option.

how do you make a windows 98 bootdisk off of windows xp?
not trying to attack you. but im just trying to figure out how to reformat the drive. can i just pop in the xp cd restart and do it from there?

www.bootdisk.com

I believe you can do a format off the cd, but you may need to play with bios drive priority to get the system to boot off the cd. Personally ive never bothered to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom