No Fans Or Heatsinks?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the heatsink is extremly huge with several heatpipe's then no it dont need a fan on it, but they say to have a 120mm case fan beside it rofl

I read an article warning against a fanless system, a while ago. Even though everything is being properly cooled, there is just stale stagnant air chillin' inside the case. Not moving at all. Just cooling the CPU/GPU and maybe a few other things is pretty rough. There is still heat that will go throughout the PCB's that needs to go away. A small amount of air would be sufficient to take that away.

The guy in this article had a nicely OCed system, and a good water cooling setup, including on the gpu. He said the system kept crashing, and boiled it down to the video card. He put one 80mm fan in the system and never had the problem agin. At least for the remainder of the article. This was a long time ago, so I cant link it. But still, you need some sort of air movement in there.

idk.... i cant possibly see paying more than 1000 dollars for a case. why doesnt he wait for the new nVidia card along with the new Dual core athlon 64's to come out. or he could just save the money. i will admit that thats a totally kick azz case but $1000+.... you could get a ton of stuff with that money lol

if he can wait then i would say get a dc 64 and the new nVidia when they come out. along with a decent case for 100+.

its his choice though obviously but if it were mine i would hold out for something else. i would atleast wait for a week and see if i still want it lol

Heh, maybe it's just me, but if I had a pretty current PC, I would invest like half of that 2,000. It wouldn't hurt that much if you lost on stocks, since it was free money anyway. Too bad I don't know how to invest on wallstreet, I totally called out google at it's IPO (somewhere below $85) ...then it went up to like $200! Heh, I even said I'd get out once it hit that point, then it dropped back down! Oh well, just part of being young I suppose :p.

You could also invest in bonds or some other sort of... thing. Or just plop it in your savings account and save it for something, well, important.

I'd definately spend some of it though :). Honestly though, I couldn't see spending 1k on a case.... ever. I think you should try to wait for the next generation of video cards actually. You are perfectly set up to get the most use out of it. Usually hardware comes out and you can't afford it til it drops in price... like 3-6 months later. You could buy it right away, that'd be sweet :). Plus, buy some other stuff for your pc or wtv you (he) want(s).

Yea his comp is good. Benchmarking it its probably a bit better than mine. And mine is rather good. Its a coin toss really. He's just a huge nerd.

My friend was telling me about this new product that was 200~ to fill up your case and what it did was fill up your whole case and kept all the parts cool without and fans or heatsinks :p

grego said:
Heh, maybe it's just me, but if I had a pretty current PC, I would invest like half of that 2,000. It wouldn't hurt that much if you lost on stocks, since it was free money anyway. Too bad I don't know how to invest on wallstreet, I totally called out google at it's IPO (somewhere below $85) ...then it went up to like $200! Heh, I even said I'd get out once it hit that point, then it dropped back down! Oh well, just part of being young I suppose :p.

You could also invest in bonds or some other sort of... thing. Or just plop it in your savings account and save it for something, well, important.

I'd definately spend some of it though :). Honestly though, I couldn't see spending 1k on a case.... ever. I think you should try to wait for the next generation of video cards actually. You are perfectly set up to get the most use out of it. Usually hardware comes out and you can't afford it til it drops in price... like 3-6 months later. You could buy it right away, that'd be sweet :). Plus, buy some other stuff for your pc or wtv you (he) want(s).

We are computer geeks, not accountants. If he;s got 2G's that he wants to spend on a computer, he's not going to wait for the stock to go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom