Ati and Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshKorn

Baseband Member
Ok I am stuck on a decision.
I play Americas Army. Which is a direct x game, I believe. I believe that ATI is directx, and nvidia is openGL. I only have PCI slots, so which would be better or does it not make that much difference? Should I get ati 9250 pci, or the geforce 5700? I know the 5700 is alot better overall, but for the game I want to use it for...you get what I am saying. Any help would be apprectiated.

Almost any 128MB card will do, because AA isn't that demanding. I would go with Nvidia if you have a PCI slot.

alright. Yeah I have a 9250 right now, but it kinda sucks. I can only play all ultra low, 1024x768 no shaddows or AA or AF.
So you think the 5700 would be good?

Any card under $100 won't be able to play any game on high settings. I wouldn't worry about it; I have a 9250, it's fine, didn't expect much of it though.

Go ahead and keep the 9250. I put a 5700 in my parents' PC and it isn't wouldn't be worth the upgrade. If you really want a card to game with, get the 6600 GT which is getting cheaper and cheaper every week.

Ok, thanks, Well I kinda screwed up the 9250 anyway. Idk what I did, but I only get about 12 fps on a game menu, with alot of text but, its still crap.

Yeah, I have many times, I think I have un-intentionaly overclock and semi-fried the card.

if you "semi fried" the card, you wil see more than just a drop in fps

anyway, I would actually suggest getting an AGP card instead. a Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB is, for the money, a really good card
if you don't have AGP, you can actually get pretty cheap (but descent) Socket A or socket 478 motherboards

what is your CPU?
if it is a socket A (AMD) CPU, I would suggest getting an Avit KV7 ($44) motherboard
if you have a Pentium 4, I would suggest a Gigabyte 8S661FXMP-RZ ($53)
and with either, get a Radeon 9600 Pro ($69)
total = $113/$122
and you will have a much better video card than that 9250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom