Antialiasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
How much, if any, performance do you lose when antialiasing is enabled?

its a wicked steep climb. like not too bad with 2x and 4x aa/af or w/e but i think it more than dbls with each sucessive upping. aa/af should be the last things you turn up :)

Antialiasing is the process of smoothing jagged images by blending grayscale colors with it. Makes it much more pleasing to the eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antialiasing

I noticed this today when I was on my friends computer playing Doom. There wasnt any quality setting on it, just a simple on/off. I dont adjust aa within my card, do I? And yeah, what's af? Just another term for antialiasing?

AF is ansiotropic filtering, which is much less demanding than AA. AA is antialiasing, which is VERY demanding on your GPU. For instance, in Doom 3, at no AA, i get an average of 80fps on the time demo. But if I just enable 2x AA, that gets cut in half to near 40 fps. 4x AA puts me down in the high 20s. I see the same thing in Far Cry. You only see slight performance decreases from AF though. AF makes textures in the distance appear clearer.

aa is antialiasing, af is anisotropic filtering
and when you say doom, you mean the original or 3?
af and aa are software adjusted, just older games dont have as high levels of them, so id imagine the original doom (which i never played, before my time :p ) wouldn't have 2x,4x and the like.
this is af according to wikipedia:

In 3D computer graphics, anisotropic filtering is a method of enhancing the image quality of textures on surfaces that are far away and steeply angled with respect to the camera. Like bilinear and trilinear filtering it eliminates aliasing effects, but introduces less blur in the process and thus preserves more detail. Anisotropic filtering is computationally relatively expensive and has only recently become a standard feature of consumer-level graphics cards.

Antialiasing is pretty complicated, but to sum it up, it basiclly smooths out the rough edges in objects and makes them looks smoother, more natural.

Ansiotropic Filtering is AF. It basiclly puts more "effort" at mapping a 3D object on a 2D display

meh.
shown up by the dude with the x800 ;)
ya, anyways, i always turn up aa/af in tandom so i didn't really know af wasnt demanding :p

Did the original Doom have AA? I imagine it didnt, it is pretty old. And yes, I was reffering to Doom 3.

hell I don't even remember the original doom having graphic settings at all lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom