Socket M2 to be Revised Socket 940

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
The next major platform for AMD, socket M2, shall be a revised 940 pin socket. It will not support any current socket 940 processors and will be used for desktop processors, not strictly servers. The memory controller for Socket M2 will support DDR2, most likely DDR2 667.

AMD also has plans for another socket, named socket S1, built specifically for mobile processors. This new socket is being built specifically for ultra low power consuming mobile processors using Turion technology. AMD has proposed that these processors will use less than 7 watts of power consumption and will be availible in 2006. It is speculated these processors will also use a 65nm process, but that is not confirmed.

Socket S1 actually decreases the number of pins, using 683. This is obviously a sign that AMD will be decreasing the size and power consumption of the chip.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61616
http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/86/86886.shtml

Thanks Asia. ;)

Yeah saw the pics on that Pcpop, but I figure anytime I read those articles you're reading them too and will post them as well :p

You see that 3.1GHz turion on air thread?

I did, water cooling doesn't even seem necessary anymore with all these damn 800MHz+ increases with good air, but I don't wanna have to resort to jet engines again plus I like the concept of water. :D

Mobiles are still 754 though which is a bit of a turnoff, if I had some spare cash maybe I'd buy a 754 system for cheap and just toy around with it, but I don't have spare cash. :p

yeah but chances are whatever they get on air, you'll be able to get higher and still cooler with water :p

I agree about the 754 issue though

yea i dont like 754 considering i had a 939 system but becasue of money issues im gonna have to buy a 754 :( somethings better than nothing right? hmm damn this shit is getting to freakin high for me lol. to hard to keep up w/. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom