format and partion

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan9562

In Runtime
ok ... here goes....i have an 80gb hard disk with 36gb free. I want to install windows on a seperate partition on the hd. I have tried to partitoin my hard disk but it just wont do anything....ive used partition magic. It says could not find a partition. What am i doing wrong?

ok well firstly i booted the xp home cd and went to install a new version. It said that i could either install over the orgional installation or create a partition. I pressed....c i think it was to create a new partition....but it just did nothing. So i searched google and got partition magic.....tried to create a partition using that and it came up with an error message saying it could not find any partitions. Do i need to completely blank the disk then make a partition?

New version of XP? Are you trying to create a dual-boot system with 2 identical copies of XP using the same install CD on both partitions?

Funcanator said:
ok well firstly i booted the xp home cd and went to install a new version. It said that i could either install over the orgional installation or create a partition. I pressed....c i think it was to create a new partition....but it just did nothing. So i searched google and got partition magic.....tried to create a partition using that and it came up with an error message saying it could not find any partitions. Do i need to completely blank the disk then make a partition?

If you are going to format the whole drive, delete the partition with your xp. then go back and create your two partitions. not sure if you want to keep your current xp. you have a lot on there.

thats the thing.....i want to keep what i have on there atm but not the os. I want a clean install of xp on there. Not 2. Then i want to just pick the files i want and then completely format the old partition. I can copy it onto a mates harddrive......but ittle take some time..... any ideas b4 i do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom