Not open for further replies.

ThePCmaN

In Runtime
what is...

RAID 1 (please go into a lil depth)

what is...

RAID 0 (please go into a lil depth)

THANKS!!! :D

RAID 1 is the "mirroring" RAID. Basically, you have multiple hard drives and the data is mirrored onto each HDD (this is good for crucial data; in case one HDD gets corrupted or dies, you still have data on the other HDD; However, you lose a lot of performance)

RAID 0 is the "striping" RAID. This is where the data is divided up equally amongst the HDDs. Say you have 2 HDDs and 20GB of data. 10GB goes to HDD1 and the other 10GB goes to HDD2. You get a good performance boost (GOOD, NOT GREAT), but if one hard drive goes, you lose ALL YOUR DATA.

To sum it all up:

RAID 1 = Reliable but slow

RAID 0 = Fast but risky

so how exactly does a RAID work.. like is it difficult.. or is it the samething as runnin 1 harddrive and u just dont really know ur 2nd one is there until u search for a file or somethin..

thanks man!!

RAID is either controlled by your motherboard (if it has a RAID controller) or a RAID controller card (PCI)

You must have 2 like-sized hard drives (i.e., a 160GB HDD with another 160GB HDD)

Basically, if you are doing RAID 0, the two HDDs "combine" to form one hard drive

I don't know about RAID 1 ... my guess is that there's a slave hard drive and a master hard drive, and when you're doing searches or something, it searches the master. Not too sure about this one

in raid1 you only see one hd (in the hd's size, ie if there were 2 80gb drives in raid1 you would only see one 80gb drive) and in raid0 you also only see one drive but it's the zie of both drives combined.

hmm.. does everything load up normal... and do u have to install the OS on both harddrives... or how do u go about that?

On my mobo, you load the RAID drivers when you load windows. I think it says "press F6 if you need to load SCSI or RAID drivers..." . Any way you just install the operating system once and if you do it properly, everything will load normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom