Overheating from the start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neh...i'm still guesing power supply...PSU feeding too much power to the CPU and making it look like the Heat sink/fan problem. That's my best guess...

you should prolly go threw all the normal steps to rule out stuff and make it easyer for ppl on forums to help you.

1. leave your side pannel off, so you can see if the cpu fan is actually turning on or not.

2. make shur your motherboud jumpers are set properly

3. reset the cmos

4. make shur your cpu core is supported by you motherbourd, example - most common i see are bourd that dont have presscott support.

EDIT: your not using an outdated Heatsink on a new CPU are u?

No, it's not an outdated heatsink, and the mobo and cpu are definitely compatible. I know there's a way to set the voltages, but that would require that I turn on the computer, and then it'd probably overheat and shut down before I could do anything. The side panel is indeed off, but I didn't want to keep on starting the computer when it kept shutting itself off. I mean, that's not the smartest thing to do when you're in the situation I was in. I'll give decreasing the voltages a shot, as well as the reset. Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll let you know what happens.

All right, it was set to shut itself off at 240*F, so I changed it to the lowest setting just to be safe. I also decreased the voltage by .1. I'm not sure if this could cause the cpu to overheat or not, but the default bootable drive was the floppy, and it has no floppy drive. You'd think it would just not detect it and move on to the other drives, but maybe that caused it to freak out and overheat somehow (?). Well, it's running pretty cool right now (and the heatsink works just fine). Thanks for the help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom