MSI K8N Neo4 Northbridge Fan Removal Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

koldapu

Fully Optimized
I have the ZALMAN NB-47J northbridge fan sitting right here, but I can't seem to get the MSI stock fan off!

Any suggestions?

I have that same mobo. Did you remove the three screws that are under the Fan blades? Also, I would guess that the thermal compound that MSI uses is some sticky stuff, so maybe you could heat it up a little bit to help rlease the thermal compound. Maybe a heat gun, but i would be careful not to melt anything else. :)

Hope this helps....

hercules_upw said:
I have that same mobo. Did you remove the three screws that are under the Fan blades? Also, I would guess that the thermal compound that MSI uses is some sticky stuff, so maybe you could heat it up a little bit to help rlease the thermal compound. Maybe a heat gun, but i would be careful not to melt anything else. :)

Hope this helps....

I don't see the 3 screws ... do I have to take out the motherboard from the case??

the screws are behind the fan blades, on the top-side of the mobo. You dont have to remove the mobo to get to the screws.

I dont know that removing the screws would aid in removing the heat sink, but taking them out now is better than ruining your mobo and finding out you did need to remove them.

thanks, i got the fan out, but for the life of me, i can't get the heatsink off :(

(i'm posting from another computer, it's not like i'd turn on the desktop without the NB fan :p)

ive got that motherboard and i took my northbridge fan off to replace it wit the same cooler. there is 2 holes through the motherboard with a prong going through. u have to take ur motherboard out of the case and turn it over and ul see what i mean.

I would be carefull with that cooler as it is very close to ur graphics card. Il post afew pics of mine when i get home later to show u have i modded mine to fit even with a NV silencer on :)

aj2003 said:
ive got that motherboard and i took my northbridge fan off to replace it wit the same cooler. there is 2 holes through the motherboard with a prong going through. u have to take ur motherboard out of the case and turn it over and ul see what i mean.

I would be carefull with that cooler as it is very close to ur graphics card. Il post afew pics of mine when i get home later to show u have i modded mine to fit even with a NV silencer on :)

I got it on, there's a capacitator less than 1cm away from one of the fins, but my temp hasn't changed at all

Less noise :D

I would take pics, but I let someone else borrow my digital camera for Prom tonight ...

I'll get it back on Monday, I'll take pics then

heres afew pictures of how i mangled mine to fit in. i saw no difference in temps but like u say its silent :D

Attachments

• nb cooler 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 232
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom