svchost.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshKorn

Baseband Member
I just reformated my hard drive. And I noticed that my comp was running a lil slow for my 1 gig of ram and I saw tht an SYSTEM process svchost.exe was using upto 30 megs of ram, and upto 100% cpu usage. If I close it then any programs I open after I close it don't have sound, and the comp still doesn't run well. Anyway, I can get some sorta log to you so I can help you help me?

Yes, but I have never has this before. Yes I have had svchost, but not ones that take up SOOO much of my ram.

I have 5 instances running right now, combined total of usage is over 50 megs. I have 1 GIG of ram and notice no slow downs at all. I would suggest running a spyware/virus scan using updated definitions. I highly doubt svchost is the culprit of your slow downs.

I have tried, and I am 90% is the culprit, as wen I shut it down, windows work much smoother, but then as I said any programs I open don't have sound.

Process File: svchost.exe
Process Name: Microsoft Service Host Process

Description: svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated. Note: svchost.exe is a process which is registered as the W32.Welchia.Worm. It takes advantage of the Windows LSASS vulnerability, which creates a buffer overflow and instigates your computer to shut down. To see more information about this vulnerability please look at the following Microsoft bulletin: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx This is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately. Please see additional details regarding this process.

Author: Microsoft Corp.
Part of: Microsoft Windows Operating System

System Process: Yes
Application: No
Background Process: Yes
Uses Network: Yes
Uses Internet: Yes
Hardware Related: No
Memory Usage : N/A

Spyware: No
Adware No
Virus: No
Trojan: No
Security Risk (0-5): 0

According to task manager, I have 7 instances of svchost.exe running right now taking up a total of 64MB with 0% CPU usage at idle.

There are several instances because it has to do with your networking and internet connections as well. Dont terminate them. There are other culprits at work.

Are you sure? I have never ever had them take this much CPU...what can I used to show what is running other than takin a ss of my task manager procceses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom