New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont really know anything about raid but if it makes it faster/ run better than yes,
Yes, RAID makes them faster. You will definately want to RAID-0 those two Raptors. They will fly.

I don't know what your money situation is, but there is a point where every extra dollar gives you less and less performance. You could save a ton by getting an A64 3800+ or 4000+ and a single 6800GT or Ultra rather than the FX-55 and 2 Ultras and still kicks ass. You could always add the second vid later if you need it.

I think, since you got the money, you should get a Venice 3200+, a 6800Ultra, maybe two, the DFI, and an extreme aftermarket water cooling system and OC the hell outta that badboy.

idiotec said:
Yes, RAID makes them faster. You will definately want to RAID-0 those two Raptors. They will fly.

Word to that. You should get at least a 50% increase in data transfer speeds.

Yeah and remeber if those raptors are raided, no important data on RAID-0 as a rule of thumb, since if one goes out, the other looses it's data

Switch to a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR isntead, kicks the hell out of the Asus mobo by 10x in terms of reliability, peformance and speed.

And the video card, just get 2x 256 meg cards, 1 gig of video ram is overkill

Ram, right ram, but only get a gig unless your into video. The memory settings for 4 sticks comapred to 2 can decrease peformance, and 1 gig is enough.

Sound card, yeah it's a bit on the crappy sound quality side compared to what you can get in it's range, but it's an idiot proof card so meh :/

And if I were you, I would want a much better power supply

And dont forget, you want to get a good mousepad (steelpad, icemat) and a good mouse (mx1000, razer(sp?) dimiondback)

DJ-CHRIS said:

And dont forget, you want to get a good mousepad (steelpad, icemat) and a good mouse (mx1000, razer(sp?) dimiondback)

Ahh, the small things. Everyone forgets about those. I always forget that when someone wants me to build them a computer, the budget also includes the money for a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. That always depresses me, since I have at LEAST $200 less to play around with at that point.

But for gaming, yes, good mouse good keyboard. DO NOT GET WIRELESS IF YOU ARE A HARDCORE GAMER! Response times are slower than a regular wired mouse. It may not be much slower, but in the midst of a firefight, a nanosecond can mean the game.

I agree with a lot of these posts.

DFI LANPARTY SLI DR no doubt.

256MB 6800ULTRAS - 256MB 6800GT's are damn nice too. You won't see a difference only in benchmarks. 512MB cards are a total waste of money. All that memory is usless in modern PC's and games.

Forget the audigy 4. - Go with the Audigy 2 ZS gamer with that system.
unless you want the external unit for headphones, volume, mic... It's not really needed.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY... Do yourself a favor and visit www.pcpowerandcooling.com and buy the Turbo-Cool Deluxe SLI/Express PSU. It's rated the best PSU on the Planet. I also have one and it's flawless. Cost about $230.00 but it's worth it. With that system you need perfection when it comes to power.

DJ, how is a 550W PS not good enuff for that computer? Especially if he gets adequate cooling, it is really all he needs.

He means better quality. Enermax is not the greatest company out there.

Thermaltake, OCZ, and there are a few more really good ones that they name escapes me at the moment.

Here's the best possible setup:

AMD FX-57 (when it comes out)
DFI lanparty ultra-d SLI
2x 6800ultra 256mb (not 512)
1 gig (2x512mb) G skill LA's
2x 74gb 10k raptors in RAID0
2x 250gb Seagate (raid0?)
M-audio firewire (better than creative)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom