what processor......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augsy

In Runtime
Im building a new computer in a couple of weeks and i need a reccomendation on the CPU. I have around 250-300 dollars left for it USD.

Should i get a pentium 640 3.2 ghz (2mb l2 cache)

or

a AMD athlon 3500+ socket 939 (both around the same price)

-thanks.

Uhhh, just make sure that if you already have a motherboard, you are matching the appropriate CPU to it. Motherboards dont support both AMD and Intel CPUs.

"im building a computer in a couple of weeks" i.e. i havent gotten the mobo yet. ;)

I dunno man, he's looking at that Intel with 2mb cache. Thats kinda insane, would like to have that one in my rig. Is it a 775?

What are you going to be using it for? Appz or Gaming? Are you going to OC?

that cache wouldn't make up for the fact that the 3500+ is still a very powerful processor in terms of clock speed. Under the assumption that it rates at a 3.5GHz intel, that'd be 300MHz over the 3.2 inwhich as I said, the cache isn't going to make up for that.

I'd suggest a 3200+ venice core and OC it :D But that's just me and not everyone wants to or likes to OC.

Also depends on what you want to do I suppose.

If you're going to game a lot then go AMD.

If you aren't really into gaming at all and just want a nice computer inwhich you can surf, play winamp, e-mail, encode, pick your nose, all at the same time you might be better with Intel.

Technically yes with AMD you'd still have an all around nice computer, but they specifically excell in gaming

I was going to recommend the Venice as well, but the 3500+. Why does noone ever recoimment the 3500+ but they do the 3200+, there is not that much of a price difference.

$272 - 3500+

$199 - 3200+

(Both OEM)

$70 is a nice chunk of change to me.

In terms of overclocking theres no reason to go to the 3500+ when the 3000/3200+ will OC to just as high speeds and save you upwards of $100 if you went with the 3000+

If they aren't OC'ing then they might as well go 3500+

Retail 3200+ at monarch is $209 whereas at newegg it's $229, but it won't be shipping out from monarch until may 20th.

Don't know how much the retail 3500+ is though as of yet, this is why I listed OEM prices

Him said:
I was going to recommend the Venice as well, but the 3500+. Why does noone ever recoimment the 3500+ but they do the 3200+, there is not that much of a price difference.

Because the 3500 and the 3200 and the FX-55 all use the exact same core. 3500 is locked at 11x multiplier, 3200 is locked at 10x multiplier, fx-55 is unlocked but has a default 12x multiplier setting.

You can get a 3200 and run it at 3500 speeds easy (20mhz fsb overclock) and still run at 25-30c idle and 40ish at load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom