active PFC?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augsy

In Runtime
I am looking at Power supplies and i noticed that some have a feature called active PFC. What is this feature and is it worth the extra 10 bucks?

Re:

Hello,

Active PFC is 'Active Power Factor Correction'. I won't go technical because, firstly it's extremely complicated, and secondly there's just too much to even attempt to take in!!!

Simply put, PFC makes your power supply more efficient, compared to a PSU without PFC.

PFC maintains power factor so that it is as close to 1.0 as possible. More information available here, in somewhat basic form: http://www.memonline.com/pfc1.html .

If I were you, I'd go PFC...!

Basically from what I've gathered it's just able to keep your PSU stable in terms of making sure the power isn't dipping too low or fluctuating too high (power spikes on a certain rail) and keeping the voltages precise.

Someone might be able to elaborate on that, or you could google it and probably get a more precise answer

Well, in the time I did research and replied, Nubius and Alvin C. already did. I told you what I gathered. I also noticed what Nubius and Alvin were talking about. It was hard to get a straight forward answer or definition of it.

Nevertheless, it seems like it is def worth the extra 10 bucks.

??? Dude they aren't fanless....where did you get this from? My Thermaltake 560w is an Active PFC CPU and it has 2 fans in it :rolleyes:

I did a search on Active PFC and all the sites that came up showed fanless PSU's with PFC, but the fanned ones dont have it. I also read somewhere that it was PSU's without fans. I was grossely misinformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom