Help, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked at a law schoool for a little while fixing students laptops. Law school students have rich parents, which means they have very nice very expensive laptops. I saw some really sick ones, ones that cost 3 or 4 grand. I saw one with a 6600gt! LAPTOP!!! Insanity. But I also saw a few kids who had theirs stolen. Sucky, since the school is totally not liable. You are SOL if it gets stolen. Remember to get one of those cable locks. They wont stop a theif, but they do deter them.

I would totally go with the good desktop/cheap laptop. Go to a little local computer repair shop, and get an old used one for your work, like Chankama said. Get a crappy one for a few hundred dollars (hell, even check Ebay) and throw some money into a custom desktop. Desktops are better for gaming anyway, as you can get in them and upgrade them and the such. Plus, you can build one from scratch without spending a few thousand.

There u go. Even Him confirmed that they get stolen often :). I see posters all the time around campus with "Computer Stolen! Please Report.....". Kinnda difficult to take ur laptop with u when u are going to the washroom or have someone watch it in the library.. For 4-5 years :) Expensive laptop = extra attention from people who want to steal it.

And as for Centrino, here is another link. The official Intel one if u will:
"More than just a processor, it features fully integrated wireless LAN+ capability......."..

uh huh. I love how the advertising people try to make everything sound extra special.. :-\

http://www.intel.com/products/centrino/index.htm

Centrino is a combination of EVERYTHING in the laptop. All the technology in it. A smaller cpu which requires less voltage, longer battery life, etc... Everything is smaller, easier to cool, takes less power, weighs less. It is a combination of everything.

In short, they have taken the laptop and made it smaller. Easier and better for traveling.

lol yeah. It was funny how that article I posted started describing all that stuff though. "More than just a processor..........".. Sounds more like they were describing a superhero. "More than just a man....". :)

Well laptops do get stolen pretty easily

And yes, mine goes EVERYWHERE unless someone I trust is watching it

EDIT: You cannot have a 6600GT in a laptop, yes their has been 6800GT's in laptops but no 6600GT

I dunno man. This one kid came in with this laptop, one of which I had never seen before. It was pretty big and bulky, and cost him something like $3000. He got it on one of those extreme custom laptop sites. Maybe iot was a 6800, but I'm prettty sure it was a 6600. Whatever the case, it was by far the most insane laptop I have ever seen!

Dude, not even. Just grab a nice battery and connect it to a shuttle pc; throw that in your backpack and grab a light lcd with one of those dealies that can hang on your neck. Just get a nice, small keyboard with the touch-pad mouse in it and you're good to go.
All campuses pretty much have Wifi now, so you should be cool with a wireless ethernet card.

*thumbs up*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom