Computer crashes/restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik00014

Baseband Member
Ive been trying to sort out this problem for a while, when I run windows it will eventually crash or restart. It crashes/restarts more when playing a game or watching a video. On some occations it will lag horribly before doing so, and sometimes a crash will end up in a blank screen.
Things I have tried to resolve this:
- Reinstalling windows
- Replacing power supply
- Replacing graphics card
- Replacing RAM

What should I do next?

Specs: Windows xp Home
AMD XP 2200 (properly cooled)
1GB RAM
Ti4600 Graphics
7NF-RZ Gigabyte Motherboard
Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1
550w Power
1x 200Gb HDD
1x 180Gb HDD
DVD drive
CD writer

Restarting like that can be caused by a few things:

System instability
RAM overloaded
Overheating

Those are the most common. Since you have already tried those thigns you said, I would have to go with overhating. Especially since it does it moreso when playing a game. That is putting your computer under a heavy load. Make sure it is properly cooled. Do you OC? If you do, set all your stuff back to normal settings. Also, your gfx card isnt too good. Rather outdated. how much memory does that have? Also, check the cooling on that. It really sounds like it is overheating to me.

This part of my motherboard does seem to be over 50C if thats a problem...
Image2.jpg

My processor has a resting temperature of 46C, and I dont know what my graphics card is....

Hmm... Those temps sound a little shady to me. resting at 114F? Thats kinda high. I'm going to stick with my original assumption of it overheating. That is your chipset, the Northbridge to by more exact. I think anyway. But yes, 50 for that is too high. You may need to get an aftermarket fan for that. Check your application of heatsink compound between your cpu and heatsink.

50 degrees is waaaaay too high for the northbridge, I am 90% certain that is causing that issue

Try this just for troubleshooting reasons. Take a huge box fan and put it next to your computer. Wiht the side panel off, of course. monitor the temp, play games. Put your computer on a load. See how long it lasts. Try it without a load, see how long it lasts. Big fan, next to computer.

Right, it turns out that my northbridge was overheating and making my system unstable. I put in a new motherboard, now everything is fine.

Is it a normal problem for the northbridge to overheat on motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom