Cable modem, 2 PCs on one modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

In Runtime
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I have a Motorola Surfboard SB4100 cable modem on our main PC hooked up with the Ethernet cable. It also has a slot for a UBS cable, Can I hook up another computer on the UBS at the same time and have them both work without causing each other problems? Tom

Here is what it says about the modem on this page's FAQ guide...

Since the SB4200 has both Ethernet and USB connections, can I use both to attach multiple computers?

Yes. The USB port will support only one user and the Ethernet port (with a hub or switch) can support multiple users, to a maximum of 31 attached computers. Please check with your ISP or Cable Operator to see how many users they allow on cable modems.

Since the webpage FAQ http://www.gi.com/noflash/sb_faq.html
mentions both the SB4100 and SB4200, I assume that this applies to both.

Thanks alot Bleep, Exactly what I wanted to know, I even downloaded the USB drivers to a floppy so I can put them on the other PC. COOOOOOOOOOOOL. Tom

i want to make a correction to what bleep said. you cannot connect multiple computers to share an internet connection with only a hub or switch. you must have a router in order to do that.

the modem connects to the WAN port on the router and the computers each connect to a device port. routers typically have a switch built into it with 4 ports for devices.

Ive also got an SB4100 modem
I want to connect to the Internet and network the laptop at the same time, and share the Internet with the Laptop, where did you download the drivers for USB?
I've got USB1, would that be fast enough for cable?

The ISP will see 2 different IP address's without the Router to mask them...No Workie dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom