Help, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ender88

Beta member
Hey guys, well quick introduction: I'm a high school senior who's going to college next year. And..well I'm looking for a laptop. I want a laptop that can game and at the same time be decently priced. I want my laptop to be able to run hl2 and things of that caliber ..lowest resolution is okay with me.

I read the entire centrino/pentium-m vs pentium 4-m thread. I want to know which one
is more expensive. Also, if Centrino can hold its own against 4-ms why not just go for centrino.

Yes, I'm an idiot. I'm not that good with hardware, please try answering my question to the best of your abilities.

Finally one big favor to ask you hardware-nerds(i mean that in a complimentary manner) Do you think that this computer would be worth its money and be able to play games like hl2?

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/2x_inspn6000?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

The ones I'm going for are below 1,000$.
If you know anything other than Dell that's below 1000$ and suits my needs, please feel free to share....seriously guys...I could use some major help. Thanks again.

for gaming, pentium-m>p4-m>centrino

i doubt you'll find anything under a grand; however, you might be able to (try looking for ones with the 9700/pro gfx card and 512mb or more ram)

If u are a gamer, but still value a laptop for school work, why not consider getting 2 computers? A cheap assed laptop that can't play any games, but will do "school related" stuff, and a good desktop that you can play games. :)

Laptops around campus.. hmm.. People sometimes steal stuff too. :-\.. Kindda will suck if it's a good one.

Well, it'll cost more no doubt. But, you are comparing that combo to a upper cap of $1000. I highly doubt he can find a laptop that can play games well for that price. The Dell computer for ~ $1000 is a piece of shit.. :). So he's gonna have to set his budget somewhat higher than $1000. That being said, I think the "good desktop/crap laptop" will work out to be cheaper than the "good laptop" path. I went through undergrad with a PIII 650. A laptop with that kinnda power should be dead cheap no? :)..

diabloII said:
for gaming, pentium-m>p4-m>centrino

i doubt you'll find anything under a grand; however, you might be able to (try looking for ones with the 9700/pro gfx card and 512mb or more ram)

I may not be a hard ware genius but I know something that I don't think you seem to be aware of...

Centrino is not a processor....its a combination of a certain type of chipset and pentium-m processor. Seriously dudes, I checked for benchmarks for centrino and found out that I should be looking for benchmarks of pentium-m.

Or...you could get an apple; all the free software that's bundled w/ might save you lots. And it might run hl2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom