SDRAM - 512MBx1 stick or 256MBx2 sticks better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenor

In Runtime
Hi all,

I have this question and I hope you all can give me your opinions.

For a Pentium 3 pc, since the mobo does not support dual channel, does it really matter whether the memory is made up of 1 stick of 512MB or 2 sticks of 256MB SDRAM?

Will there actually be any noticeable speed difference or it does not matter at all?

Thanks in advance.

personally i would go 2x256 because its almost like raid 0. information can be written to each stick of ram at the same time so its faster but u wont see that much of a difference.

not true.

no such thing as dual channel for his comp

go with 1x512mb so you can upgrade later (leaves more space for ram)

You won't need any more than 512 for that system, so I would go with what ever is cheaper, propbally the 2x256 will be.

Yeah i wouldn't think there would be any noticible difference maybe the 512mb stick might of ran a little bit faster but not anough to notice

Thanks folks for all the feedback.

Currently I have 384MB of RAM (128MB x1 + 256MB x1). After considering you people's feedback I think I'll just upgrade to 512MB (i.e. 2 sticks of 256MB) since I believe it's both pointless and unnecessary to have 1GB of RAM in a P3 pc. (Correct?)

Later, I'll just upgrade to a completely new system - most probably a AMD Athlon64-based one or better still a Dual-Core one (Hope I can afford it!).

Thanks again!

Pff 384 is really enough for that PC, with the current prices of SD-RAM their is no point in upgrading, just a waste of money

DJ-CHRIS said:
Pff 384 is really enough for that PC, with the current prices of SD-RAM their is no point in upgrading, just a waste of money

AMEN!!!

Just save for the new system. i have 256mb in a p3 1Ghz running xp and its alright!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom