They are here, well, kind of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But my argument is that since my monitor is pretty huge, won't it be worth it?
We're talking about the GPU speed and bottleneck issues, not monitor resolutions. Sure, a monitor can handle a 1600x1200 resolution, but what's really taking all the stress? The GPU.

To summarize, the current games availible now do not need to VRAM quantity of 512MB, and the future games that do need that size VRAM will need a faster GPU than the 6800 Ultra. Read this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-x800xl-512mb.html

Wow, that really makes me want to get the X850XT instead, but they do seem like they are favoring ATI, or is that just me?

Maybe two 256MB Ultra's in SLI would be a better option??

Also, that is the ATI budget card, if ATI put 512mb on the X850XT Platinum Edition, I am guessing that it would improve a lot of the benchmarks.

What do you think??

Yan Booth

YanBooth said:
Wow, that really makes me want to get the X850XT instead, but they do seem like they are favoring ATI, or is that just me?

Maybe two 256MB Ultra's in SLI would be a better option??

Also, that is the ATI budget card, if ATI put 512mb on the X850XT Platinum Edition, I am guessing that it would improve a lot of the benchmarks.

What do you think??

Yan Booth

doubtful except at extreme resolutions

You missed the reason I linked that, the x800XL benched there was a newer 512MB version, as I haven't found any Ultra 512MB benchmarks it'll have to do. If you'll look, the performance between the 256MB and 512MB x800XL is minimal, if any.

I'm telling you now, buying a 512MB card now is the equivelent of buying a 256MB FX5700. I realize you seem to have your heart set on the biggest you can find, but you're getting fooled by clever marketing.

If you check my post in the PowerPC section, I asked the 30 in moniter question. I gather that you can; you need a card w/ the next version of the DVI2 or w/e it's called. I doubt the mac version of the 6800 will run on a PC, but i bet you could find a card w/ the next gen. of DVI ports, w/e it is.

And neh i was off...apple moniters work well w/ the minalminist design. do you have/are you getting that FX-55 like you said you'd have? (i'm praying that you do realize that the moniter and that processor alone will total $4000)

Yeah, the FX-57 if it will come out for socket 939. I now considering spending a lot more on case and water cooling, and spending less on the video card, and CPU, and only 1 GB of G. Skill RAM.
Here is the setup right now, without any changes recently...

DFI "LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR" NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU
ADD AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 - When www.NewEgg.com carries it
TWO G.skill (Samsung TCCD) Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR PC-4400, Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE
ADD eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra Video Card 512MB - When www.NewEgg.com Carries it
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0380"
TWO Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 73GB 10,000 RPM 8M Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drives in RAID 0
Seagate 7200.8 300GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ Hard Drive, Model ST3300831AS
OCZ PowerStream OCZ600ADJ ATX 600W Power Supply 100-120V AC/200-240V AC TUV, UL, CSA, CE, CB, FCC
Lian Li Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case With Transparent Side Panel, Model "PC-75"
Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Digital Speaker System w/Digital Hardware Decoder
Plextor Black 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, Model PX-PREMIUM/SW BLK
Plextor 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Burner with s/w and Black and Beige Bezels, Model PX-716A/SW
SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive
Encore 56K Internal PCI Modem
Cooling Component Links
Pro-120 Hi Performance Radiator
Pro- 120 Fan Shroud Kit
D-Tek Core Fan Shroud Kit
TWO D-Tek Custom's 120mm Aluminum Fan
AquaXtreme BLUE 50Z-DC12 Mag Drive Inline Pump w/ 1/2" Barbed Fittings
Danger Den Single 5 1/4" UV BLUE Bay Reservoir
Copper TDX Block for Athlon64 754/939/940 (Add to order: Brass Top Style, Spare O-Ring, and Accelerator Nozzles
The Danger Den Chrome MAZE4 GPU (Add nVidia 6800 Series compatability, eVGA nVidia 6800 Ultra 512MB)
Tygon 3603 Tubing (1/2 Inch, 15 Feet)
TWO MCT-40 Non-Conductive Solution
12oz. Zerex Super Coolant
UV Dye: Fire Red
OCZ RAMsinks for Video Cards (16 Pack)
THREE Swiftech UV Blue Coolsleeves 1/2 inch Coils
SIX LOGISYS 80mm 9 LED Blue Green Case Fan, Model "LT9BLGN"
VANTEC Spectrum SP-FC70-BL 120mm Ball Fan Card
TWO ASPIRE 609 Fan Master Thermal Monitor
FOUR VANTEC IceBerq Copper DDR Memory Heat Spreader, Model "DDR-A1C"
TWO Arctic Silver Premium Silver Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound
Component Links
FIVE LINK DEPOT 12" 3PIN UV EXTENSION CABLE Model POW-UV-12EXT
THREE Link Depot UV 4PIN Y POWER CABLE, Model POW-UV-4PY
TEN Link Depot UV SATA 15 PIN POWER ADAPTER, Model POW-UV-SATA
MONSTER CABLE PowerCenter AV 200
BELKIN 10-Socket SurgeMaster Gold Power Strip
Software Links
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64-Bit
MICROSOFT Office Professional Edition 2003 ( Academic Version ) ( Windows )
Input Device Links
Logitech MX518 931352-0403 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1x Wheel USB + PS/2 Optical Mouse
Razer eXactMat™ RZ-3050
Saitek (PZ30AU) Eclipse Illuminated Keyboard
LITE-ON SK-1788/BS Standard Black/Silver Keyboard PS/2 104key
Miscellaneous Component Links
BELKIN Anti-Static Wrist Strap
Esthetics Links
THREE LOGISYS Computer CLK12UV 12" UV COLD CATHODE KIT
Cable Tie, RED, 8 inch, 40 lbs., 100 pcs/Pack

All that is probably going to change of course. How are the X2 AMD (dual core) for gaming & all around usage??
Don't ask for the price, LOL

Thanks,
Yan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom